Baby Pigs are MEAN!

Help Support CattleToday:

5minpins

Reaction score
I got my porkers this week. they are pretty dang cute for now...
carolspig.jpg

I went to pick up 3 pigs and came home with 4...dont ask me why...
misterbigg.jpg

this little girl oinks like a petite little girl...she is feisty
applepig1.jpg

anyway the extra pig is going to a friend and you cant have just one pig so her friends wanted me to pick up one more so they can have two pigs, wich I did, only the white pig came from a different litter...WOW WHO KNEW!?!? that when you put a strange piglet in with some others that they try to kill him?? dang they went to beating the tar out of him. but after a few minutes, they gave it up and said oh well new pig...well then the new pig was mad and he went to town trying to attack all of them and would not stop. so I seperated them and that made him worse, he ended up smashing his way into the other part of the pen where he continued to attack my cute little girl pig. quick call to the pig farmer who told me to get a stick and lay it across his backside everytime he started...well nothing else was working so I whacked him hard everytime he attacked another pig and I'll be danged if he didnt stop and start getting along after the 3rd time I whacked him. huh who knew. but he still took a beating from the other pigs...
everyonehateswhitey.jpg

He is doing just fine today, normal pig stuff and getting along ok, eating and drinking. glad thats over!

Pigs are mean! Fighting with each other is a fact of life with pigs just like it is my sons. My motto is "If they're breathing, they're fighting!"

Good luck with'em

5minpins":2gj0gh5g said:
WOW WHO KNEW!?!? that when you put a strange piglet in with some others that they try to kill him??

That is pretty much true for all animals - hence the recommendation of introducing a few members of an existing herd/bunch/flock at a time to the new arrival.

msscamp":47es2j2p said:
5minpins":47es2j2p said:
WOW WHO KNEW!?!? that when you put a strange piglet in with some others that they try to kill him??

That is pretty much true for all animals - hence the recommendation of introducing a few members of an existing herd/bunch/flock at a time to the new arrival.

yeah I knew all that about introducing and the ensuing scuffles to prove who the boss is. Horses are pretty bad about that. BUT I had no idea 6 week old piggies were going to fight to the death lol. most baby animals do some scuffling but they dont go about trying to kill the outsider. these cute little things were dead serious. I was just a little set back by the viciousness of that fight.

5minpins":23ykn0c3 said:
msscamp":23ykn0c3 said:
5minpins":23ykn0c3 said:

BUT I had no idea 6 week old piggies were going to fight to the death lol. most baby animals do some scuffling but they dont go about trying to kill the outsider. these cute little things were dead serious. I was just a little set back by the viciousness of that fight.

One wouldn't think it would happen, but it does. I've made that mistake, and was shocked by the results, too.

john250":evfagrw9 said:
You haven't lived until a pig runs between your legs.
I had my last pig when I was 5. I've never wanted another.
TRUE!! The first year we had pigs we were loading them on the trailer to go to the fair. Well, one decided to shoot right through my husband's legs and I swear he did a summersault backwards over that pigs back....We laugh about it now (especially since we're smarter about loading them through a chute!)... it was funny though. I'll post a pic of mine...

These were our Duroc's this year...

[img]http://www.ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/farm_pictures_056.JPG[/img]

john250":2pd360ex said:
You haven't lived until a pig runs between your legs.
I had my last pig when I was 5. I've never wanted another.

A pig running between your legs at 5 is a much closer call then if you're older.

A few years ago for our 4-H show and sale, we had 4 pigs (littermates) that came to be known as the fighting pigs :oops: . They were durocs X poland china. The show was crazy! All of them were vicious, but we had one particular pig that picked a fight with every single pig in the ring. Then he got so tired he wouldn't move. When he went back into the show and/or sale ring, the crowd recognized hime and clapped. 5 yrs. later and everybody remembers that pig! It is still embarrassing :help:

Latest posts