Baby Calves and Buzzards

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":lcp1b8bc said:
All we seem to have are those Mexican buzzards with the white wing tips.

No. You got these too. Warsaw is not in a vacuum.
2mpxt06.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1lndihqe said:
this is what my new ones are:

That is the Black Vulture. Neither one has feathers on the head. The black has a grey or dark pigmented skin and the red is red pigmented or more likely from blood flow.

Had a cow calve yesterday morning. Buzzards were after her and the calf. Old cow was fighting them off as best she could and trying to get that wobbly calf to follow her to the herd. I went out with the shotgun and ran them off then stood watch while the calf nursed and the cow settled down. If I hadn't been home I'm sure I'd have lost another one to these BUZZTARDDS!!!!

Husband shot a pig one night and just left it where it died. We went out later the next day and I guarantee there were over 100 eating that hog. All that was left were scraped bones and a full hide.. When we got up to them, they flew up and formed a Buzznato…. Then one by one went off in another direction and up high where you couldn't see them.. Seems to be more and more every year... I'm going to experiment with a drone...I know they don't like them.... Might save me some miles on my 4wheeler...

we have lost calves and even had them eat a hole the size of a bushel basket out of a hereford cow that had labor problems...we did save the cow but it took a year for her to get in decent enough shape to go to the sale barn...she had effectively been neutered...

they seem to have our calving schedule on their appointment calendar.

I will not comment on a public forum on control measures...

I've dealt with these birds for decades.. The best way to have any control is to bring calving heifers where you see them throughout the day. And remove afterbirth or if its hanging out like a waving red flag, babysit the cow. Once that is out of the picture, they leave..... I've got years of blogs about it...……. http://cowgirls8.tumblr.com/

farmerjan":wx0wmhq7 said:
S S S Although you can get permits most places now. And if it's not out in the front pasture along the road..........

Permits are expensive and on a per bird basis.

Bright Raven":1yxye077 said:
farmerjan":1yxye077 said:
S S S Although you can get permits most places now. And if it's not out in the front pasture along the road..........

Permits are expensive and on a per bird basis.

According to our game warden they are not expensive here and not on a per bird basis but I haven't tried to get any. They are having such a problem with them within the city limits just north of us that they are practically "begging" farmers to reduce the populations; in a quiet non advertising way.... They have actually organized a trapping system for them outside the downtown city area to get the numbers down. They could kill every one of the Basturds and just leave the old "turkey buzzards" here and I would be happier than a pig in mud!!!!!

cowgirl8":33sjij4y said:
Husband shot a pig one night and just left it where it died. We went out later the next day and I guarantee there were over 100 eating that hog. All that was left were scraped bones and a full hide.. When we got up to them, they flew up and formed a Buzznato…. Then one by one went off in another direction and up high where you couldn't see them.. Seems to be more and more every year... I'm going to experiment with a drone...I know they don't like them.... Might save me some miles on my 4wheeler...

Sounds like a couple pounds of tannerite while they are gathered around the dead pig would do the trick :D

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can only trap them with the permit.. Tannerite would be more satisfying...lol

I spoke to MS State Wildlife Dept, they said migratory and not their jurisdiction please call Federal Wildlife. Called Federal, they said talk to the Fed District supervisor. Talked to him, he took the application over the phone and emailed me the multiple pages to fill out. Current loss, expected loss, deterrents used, success of deterrents, expected number of birds destroyed, disposal of destroyed birds.
Send all that info and $100 to Atlanta and wait for permit.
Several reports to be filed if you shoot one or not, subject to on site inspection.
They would be way to far in my business!!

OleScout":1qf36uov said:
I spoke to MS State Wildlife Dept, they said migratory and not their jurisdiction please call Federal Wildlife. Called Federal, they said talk to the Fed District supervisor. Talked to him, he took the application over the phone and emailed me the multiple pages to fill out. Current loss, expected loss, deterrents used, success of deterrents, expected number of birds destroyed, disposal of destroyed birds.
Several reports to be filed if you shoot one or not, subject to on site inspection.
My daughter started to apply for one, but never finished it. Was going to be way more work and you have to have assistance, you cant just start shooting them. Like that would do any good anyway.. They basically have to be trapped and counted..

OleScout":34cab18n said:

Here the game warden calls you. Stays with the calf until you arrive. Then they leave.

Don't have a buzzard problem here but I know a joke. A guy has a parrot that trys to hump anything that moves. He catches the parrot on his chickens and tells the parrot if you keep doing that it's gonna kill you! Next day the parrot is on top of a pigeon again the owner tells him if you keep doing this your gonna die! A couple of days later the owner sees the parrot laying on his back with his wings spread on the manure pile. He walks up to it saying I told you all this promiscuity was gonna kill you!! The parrot replies: Be quiet!! I'm waiting for that buzzard to come down :lol2:

Latest posts