Average price of fence in your area.

Help Support CattleToday:

BillyD

Reaction score
Just wondering what you all paid for a good fence in your area.
I am talking good new material and labor. Do you usuall pay by the hour, the foot, the rod or what.

theres several ways you can pay for building a fence.by the foot i think they charge $1.50 a running ft for tear out an replace.an some pay by the hr building fence.an some by the job.i orefer paying by hr or job.

BillyD":3dtq9pth said:
I am talking good new material and labor. Do you usuall pay by the hour, the foot, the rod or what.

Labor thats what your for! Tpost every 20' at 4 bucks,roll of barb wire 40 bucks use cut up telephone poles for corner post.

when I bought this place 13 years ago--(belonged to my father in law)--there was old barb wire all over the place (320 acres) what a job to clean that up, so I started out makeing new 4 strand barb wire fences--My nieghbour ,who comes from switzerland said why dont you try 2 strand high tensil electric.-I said no I want to make sure they stay in. He said go ahead canada is the land of barb wire --well after while I ran out of money --old story-and had to go to electric and am I ever glad I did hardly any up keep and if you have a good fencer, nothing wants to tackle it twice -I put my posts (treated 4-5 inch) 20 paces apart( 60 ft.) that way if you need to know how many acres in a field you can figure it out by counting the posts -1 mile costs me about $800.00 (Canadian) and takes about 1 day to install sometimes the deer break the insulators in the winter but thats about all the upkeep I have

carl

Caustic Burno":3mtnk2mq said:
Labor thats what your for! Tpost every 20' at 4 bucks,roll of barb wire 40 bucks use cut up telephone poles for corner post.

No kidding. We use hedge posts for corners though. All those cost is a little time using a chain saw, and really good ones last quite awhile

Caustic Burno":2t6qcf3e said:
BillyD":2t6qcf3e said:

We use railroad ties for corner posts. As for the cost, build our own with stockpiled supplies. Haven't bought steel posts, fence posts or wire in quite a number of years. As long as it's in good condition it's rolled, kept, stacked and re-used.

Last year I replaced all my fencing on the farm and I did all the labor all myself with no hired help. There was 5834 feet of fence and the total cost of materials was 5364.14. That equaled to .92 cpf. That included all new gates. All corner posts with brace posts were 6-6.5x 8 and 4-4.5x6.5 H bracing every 100 ft and t-posts every 10 ft. with six strands of barbwire. I checked into telephone poles and around here they sell for $2 per foot. I bought the corner post cheaper than that and still concreted in the ground for less.
The going price around here for fencing labor? Doing it your self for a little blood and sweat.

32 bucks for a 80 rod roll of 15 guage barbed wire here.

Fence posts = chain saw on some locust trees or I can buy some from the local feed place for about 2 bucks each.

Some day I might be rich enough to pay someone else to do it...until then :cboy: .

HD T-posts cost $4 each, 12 1/2 ga barbwire $40 a roll. If you put T-posts every 13 ft and build a 5 strand barb wire fence you're talking about $600 a quarter not counting brace posts, gates or labor. Had several pastures refenced that were over grown with trees; lot of chain saw work. Total cost including labor runs about $5000 per 40 acre pasture. Fencing ain't cheap!

Norris

5 strand barb wire on t-posts is $3.50 per foot installed. 440 fence (4 rail / 10') is $12.78 per foot plus installation.

bobrammer":367wq6p0 said:
5 strand barb wire on t-posts is $3.50 per foot installed. 440 fence (4 rail / 10') is $12.78 per foot plus installation.

Heck, you can get cow panel for less than $1 a foot. Good T-Posts to support the panel will cost you about $1 a linear foot. That's only $2 a foot which is cheaper.

I don't use wood on exterior fence; a year from now or 10 years from now, it will get burned out and then you lose your corners and bracing. That is how it is in these parts. Brush fires are going to come, it is just a matter of when.

Caustic Burno":3l2c7qlf said:
BillyD":3l2c7qlf said:

Ok...Caustic...ease off! LOL!

Some of us are too old (Medicare eligible), physically unable, etc., to do fencing work. If one's a young (or older) strong Buck with couple of kids (or neighbors)...well, "Labor thats what your for!"

;-)

use railroad ties for corners and 4 inch by 7 foot long line posts roll of barbwire is $30.00 line posts are $3.25 and railroad ties are $11.00 a peice. When I install for other people I get $0.75 a foot and $15.00 a brace and $35.00 to hang a gate when they buy materials.But Im cheeper than most fence companys who get $1.50 a foot plus materials we put posts every 12 foot how much is labor every were else?

id also like to know how much it is over the country. i was thinking of starting my own fencing company in this area for the specific purpose of working for those people that could not do it themselves like the old or frail. just wanted to see some prices for i put one out these do that i am not way underneath other people.

My inlaws own a fence company and they do ok. I do it on the side and make pretty good money its hard to do as a full time company though lots of time involved in estamates and other odds and ends

Latest posts