Automatic Transmission In Cummins

Help Support CattleToday:

Case IH

Reaction score
I was thinking about trading trucks, possibly for a mid 90's model dodge diesel maybe 95-97. I've been told to stay away from the automatics, anybody have any experience with them?

Yep. Most people that had issues with the auto and the Cummins did one or more of the following things wrong:

1) Towed in OD. The OD pack on the 47RH didn't receive enough lubrication for severe stress of pulling heavier loads (8K+)

2) Didn't install a trans temp gauge and heavier duty cooler. Both were needed to really keep an eye on things and keep the tranny cool. Some that installed the gauge put it post cooler, which didn't help at all. They needed to see what the oil temp was pre-cooler.

3) Didn't adjust the bands often enough. Along with band adjustment, you need to service the 47RH according to the severe service schedule in the manual.

and/or

4) Loaded the truck/trailer for bear, then planted their foot into the accelerator.

If you know the history, or can get a bit of a warranty, I wouldn't be too worried about the auto, especially behind a 95. They didn't have a whole big bunch of extra torque to hurt them.

Rod

Thanks for the reply Diamonds, I had a 98 dodge and the auto tranny went out on it, mostly because like you said I didnt have the overdrive turned on but have always bean leary of the auto's since then.

If you've got a good tranny shope in the area, they can usually get a 47RH/RE whipped up into top condition. A couple hundred bucks on heavier torque converter (if you plan on pushing power up on the truck, it'll be more than a couple hundred bucks), some valve body work, and an additional oiling groove machined into the tailshaft where the OD mounts.

Rod

my dodge is a 01 with a auto and has been good so far but its not alot of big hills around here and I never pull in o/d puls service it when due but if anything does happen I will replace it with a suncoast tran. they are about $3500 or a little more but built for heavy towing and added hp. a tran. at than price is still less than a new truck :lol:

Do yourself a favor and stay a LONG ways away from Suncoast transmissions. $3500 will buy you a DTT (Diesel Transmission Technologies), ATS or Goerend Brothers transmission, and all three of these guys are recognized as leaders in the Dodge auto transmission market. Suncoast on the other hand do not have a respected name, at least not in the performance market.

Rod

I have hear some bad things about DTT .like not standing behind thier work. I have not hear much about ats trans. but have hear alot of good things about suncoast. but who knows you can hear anything on the net.

:lol: You can indeed hear lots on the net. When I ran my diesel performance shop, I dealt with all four companies. Suncoast just couldn't build a trans that would stand up to any kind of additional horsepower. Goerend worked very well on moderate HP trucks, and was reasonably priced. DTT and ATS were definitely the high HP kings. But all 4 companies stood behind their trannies. I found if one of the companies didn't stand behind the transmission, it was usualy due to improper setup. Each require their transmissions to be setup in a certain way. If you ignore their instructions, then you pay for the replacement parts.

Rod

I have not added alot of hp to my truck just added a AFE intake and 4 inch exhaust so not a lot added at all maybe 15 -20 horse.

In that case, don't buy a "towing transmission" from anyone at all. Buy a heavier torque converter of pretty much any breed(about 500 bucks from any reputable tranny shop) and put a shift kit in the tranny ($35 for the kit, maybe 50 bucks to install, not including tranny R&R). Have them drill out the OD oiling circuit, and you're set for anything.

Rod