Automatic Feeders?

Help Support CattleToday:

hoyt79

Reaction score
Do they make automatic feeders for finishing cattle? This would be a feeder that disperses x amount of feed during selected times of the day depending on how it was programmed. My search results came up empty but something to this nature would help me and my busy schedule in the event I can not get to the pasture twice daily when the time comes to finish our cattle.

A friend of mine made one. An auger runs the feed on to a conveyer belt. It's all set in motion by a timer. It's not really a problem, but it doesn't weigh the feed. He had to time the auger running for different intervals, and weigh what it was putting out.

Well, it's looking like building my own may be the most economical solution. I could probably build a few of these for cheap (a lot less than $300):

http://www.gitumfed.com/Products.html They use the auger method...just have to find a motor to run it...

Also this Primos spin feeder may be something I could work with...

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro....5&ei=XbWaUpC8LdTfoATqyoDYDQ&ved=0CIoBEKYrMAI

I'm only looking to finish a max of 2 steers at a time so the bigger solar powered feeders are not practical for my operation.

Work them up to full feed and just use a simple self feeder. When you make something complicated to fix a simple problem it seldom turns out very well.

mwj":1rhkhkdr said:
Work them up to full feed and just use a simple self feeder. When you make something complicated to fix a simple problem it seldom turns out very well.

Is a simple self feeder free choice? If so, wouldn't that be more costly to finish a steer than doing scheduled feed times?

hoyt79":a35fpx86 said:
mwj":a35fpx86 said:

Is a simple self feeder free choice? If so, wouldn't that be more costly to finish a steer than doing scheduled feed times?
You may find that they really don't eat much more if you are really feeding them well anyway. Seen a guy do this with some show calves and they won grand champion that year. They eat less just more often and it doesn't mess up the stomach.

Latest posts