auto-feeder vs regular bunk feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver said:
Aaron said:
Feeding with a pail makes heifers into your best friends. Feeding with auto feeders just makes you into a possible predator when you try to walk amongst them. My neighbor feeds entirely with auto feeders, he has about 10 of the big 10 ton+ feeders, all Hereford cattle, and all complete nutjobs when you walk amongst them. He insists I walk through them each time I visit, to show how fancy (lardy fat ready for the hook) they are. All I notice is how fast they run to the other end of the pen and think how depressing it would be to be around such flighty animals every day.

Feeding steers would be different, because they have a rapidly approaching expiry date, but heifers you want for breeding need a little more attention to make them into special cows. Unless your training for the Olympics during calving season.

That sums it up pretty perfect.

+2

Brute 23 said:
5S Cattle said:
Brute 23 said:
You are on the right track. I have wanted an auto feeder for a couple years now for similar reasons but it has not been in the cards.

With the one below I believe you have to run a pellet type feed. Dont think it works with ground feeds or cubes.

https://autoeasyfeeder.com

It's tough though because a self feeder for ground feed can be bought at a fraction of the price. The down side is it's hard to limit feed. You usually dont realize they are eating too much until it's too late.

I also like the idea of the siren on the feeder. It could definitely be beneficial for catching cattle also.
What's something like that cost?

I called a while back but forgot the price.

$5,800 for the 4', $7,100 for the 8' , and $9,200 for the 16'. I'll keep feeding by hand :eek:

Ya pretty steep.

We were looking at trying to significantly cut back on hay with controlled feeding thru the winter. Due to distances hand feeding is not an option.

It seems like a lot until you start figuring how much time and money you spend messing with hay.

Self feeders of the same size are 1/3 of the cost so it's tough to decide if the efficiency is worth the cost.

Latest posts