auto-feeder vs regular bunk feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

deerefan

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some input from others. I am planning on adding about 20 heifers to my angus herd each year for the next 4 years. I wanted to feed these cattle additional feed to help put on weight. I am trying to decide whether I should just get a used bunk feeder, load it up and let them eat as much as they want or would it be worthwhile to buy an automatic feeder and have them be fed a specific amount a couple of times a day. I do not have the time to be feeding them myself daily. Obviously the auto feeders are more expensive, just trying to judge whether the investment is worth it or not? After I am done increasing my herd size, I would use the feeder for my bulls, or maybe backgrounding calves. Noone else around seems to have one. Thank you for your help.

Buy bred heifers and leave off the grain. Or find someone to bucket feed them once a day up to breeding if plans are to be spring calf cows. This is what has worked best for me.

It would be best to hand feed them daily. If you can't do that a bulk creep feeder would be next best thing. If you could get one that held 2-4 tons you could hual it to the mill and save on feed. Probably need a limiter in it to keep them from eating too much.

Why not an auto-feeder then? It accomplishes the same as hand feeding, can even do it twice daily for optimal frequency. As far as hauling it to the mill, its best for me to get feed in totes, 4 x 1 ton. Much faster and the same cost as hauling the creep feeder to the mill.

An autofeeder would be great they are just pricey. We used to buy the 1 ton sacks from the mill before I bought an overhead feed bin, they do work good. Just figured a creep feeder on wheels with the fold up sides would be easiest. I have a ground load creep feeder that I can fill with the trip hopper, I like it. If you have wild hogs they will love your creep feeder too. Be fun to watch them at autofeeder, be like a dinner bell to them.

Lucky, thank you for answering. You are correct they are expensive at 6-8K for a big one. Most are powder coated though unlike the 3.5K bunk feeders which seem to rust away so quickly. I am going to play a devils advocate here, by the time I get an overhead bin ground load creep feeder and a trip hopper, I could easily get an auto-feeder. Also, I don't have to worry about 3 things rusting away or breaking. I only have one place so the versatility of a trip hopper is not as useful to me. Thanks for your thoughts.

I didn't mean to imply you should get the overhead and all that stuff. Honestly I never priced the auto feeders I figured they would be closer to 15k, 6-8k for the ones I looked at really doesn't sound bad. I may take another look at them myself. My only other suggestion and it seems like you are on the right track here is that growing calves do better if fed every day instead of say 3 days a week.

I really hate to see someone invest in more cattle knowing they don't have the time to take care of them properly. (Don't be offended, no offense intended).

TexasBred, thank you for your response. Its not about not having the time but rather trying to identify optimal use for it. I think feeding cattle twice a day by hand is not an ideal long term solution, if you have a large property which you manage you understand what I mean. I would not immediately assume that trying to automate a task means not caring. That would be akin to telling farmers to return their combines and go back to using a scythe.

When it comes to feeding my replacements I put about as much value on what pail feeding does for their temperament and disposition as I do for their growth. 10 minutes a day seems like a small price to pay.

For allot of folks in my area it's not feasible to check cows everyday. It's not laziness or not caring, but sometimes there's just not enough hours in the day. Most people work a regular job and don't live on the place the cows are at. An autofeeder would be good for this. However there is no substitute for hand feeding and being around cattle everyday. The only thing I would worry about with an autofeeder would be feed bridging. The 3/8 pellets shouldn't bridge over but can get pricey at times. 20 heifers only need 120 pounds or so a day so this may not be an issue. If you get one let us know how it works.

Agree 100%. Yes, I do have to look at the mechanisms of the auto feeders to make sure flow will not be an issue.What type of ration do you like to use for heifers? What are your local prices?

I like a 4 way mix of corn, DDG, WSC, and soyhull pellets but a good 3/8" creep pellet may be easier to get and load. I'm paying about $240 a ton for commodity feed this year and feeding 7#'s a day.

You are on the right track. I have wanted an auto feeder for a couple years now for similar reasons but it has not been in the cards.

With the one below I believe you have to run a pellet type feed. Dont think it works with ground feeds or cubes.

https://autoeasyfeeder.com

It's tough though because a self feeder for ground feed can be bought at a fraction of the price. The down side is it's hard to limit feed. You usually dont realize they are eating too much until it's too late.

I also like the idea of the siren on the feeder. It could definitely be beneficial for catching cattle also.

Brute 23 said:
You are on the right track. I have wanted an auto feeder for a couple years now for similar reasons but it has not been in the cards.

With the one below I believe you have to run a pellet type feed. Dont think it works with ground feeds or cubes.

It's tough though because a self feeder for ground feed can be bought at a fraction of the price. The down side is it's hard to limit feed. You usually dont realize they are eating too much until it's too late.

I also like the idea of the siren on the feeder. It could definitely be beneficial for catching cattle also.
What's something like that cost?

5S Cattle said:
Brute 23 said:

What's something like that cost?

I called a while back but forgot the price.

Feeding with a pail makes heifers into your best friends. Feeding with auto feeders just makes you into a possible predator when you try to walk amongst them. My neighbor feeds entirely with auto feeders, he has about 10 of the big 10 ton+ feeders, all Hereford cattle, and all complete nutjobs when you walk amongst them. He insists I walk through them each time I visit, to show how fancy (lardy fat ready for the hook) they are. All I notice is how fast they run to the other end of the pen and think how depressing it would be to be around such flighty animals every day.

Feeding steers would be different, because they have a rapidly approaching expiry date, but heifers you want for breeding need a little more attention to make them into special cows. Unless your training for the Olympics during calving season.

Aaron said:
Feeding with a pail makes heifers into your best friends. Feeding with auto feeders just makes you into a possible predator when you try to walk amongst them. My neighbor feeds entirely with auto feeders, he has about 10 of the big 10 ton+ feeders, all Hereford cattle, and all complete nutjobs when you walk amongst them. He insists I walk through them each time I visit, to show how fancy (lardy fat ready for the hook) they are. All I notice is how fast they run to the other end of the pen and think how depressing it would be to be around such flighty animals every day.

Feeding steers would be different, because they have a rapidly approaching expiry date, but heifers you want for breeding need a little more attention to make them into special cows. Unless your training for the Olympics during calving season.

That sums it up pretty perfect.