AUREOMYCIN

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
AUREOMYCIN

Been having a rather lengthy discussion on another board about the use of AUREOMYCIN.
What is your view on the use of AUREOMYCIN crumbles and for what condition (s) do/would you use AUREOMYCIN ?
Thank Q
SL

So am I safe in assuming you both are using it as a prevention rather than a cure?
SL

It kind of sounds like you have an agenda, but I'll jump in anyway. I buy lite wt. calves from
3 salebarns weekly. First off, you have to figure I am usually working with someones mistakes
so I see a lot of different levels of management/mismanagement. The calves don't necessarily
come in sick, but I figure it is just a matter of time 'till they do get sick. My options are to let
them get sick and die, doctor with expensive, high-powered antibiotics and further stressing the
calves running them thru the chute, or feed a level of aureomycin to try to help keep them from
getting sick.

As far as I am concerned, the same thing applies to worming and vaccinations. I feel like it is my
responsibility to practice proper husbandry if possible and proper use of antibiotics is a part of
that. Fire away!

Lane

Sir Loin":3akbfn7z said:
So am I safe in assuming you both are using it as a prevention rather than a cure?
SL
Treatment as perscribed by the University of california at Davis

I bought some bred heifers from an operation that fed it in the mineral, and continual in low dosages to calves. Had done it for years.

The calves off of these cows were the sickest bunch I have ever had. Everytime the weather changed (frequently in ND) these calves had drooping ears and runny noses. Had to use high $$ drugs to knock it out of them. Our own calves never got sick. Same vac protocol at weaning.

Lane, et al

No need to take a defensive position with me, I agree with you 100%, as my present operation is basically the same as yours.
Although some 20 yrs ago, I saw no need for it, but then I was running a closed herd cow/calf operation.
Have you ever tried using Duramycin-10?

Now for you cow/calf operators, how do you administer it in proper dosage when your calves are still running with their mommas? Say for pink-eye.
Lets say the calves are 4 - 500 lbs and the cows are 1,000 lbs. and you don't wean until 600 lbs.

I'm not trying to throw shi- in your fan, I'm just looking for a better way to do things.
SL

Sir Loin":1z4x166i said:
Lane, et al

No need to take a defensive position with me, I agree with you 100%, as my present operation is basically the same as yours.
Although some 20 yrs ago, I saw no need for it, but then I was running a closed herd cow/calf operation.
Have you ever tried using Duramycin-10?

Now for you cow/calf operators, how do you administer it in proper dosage when your calves are still running with their mommas? Say for pink-eye.
Lets say the calves are 4 - 500 lbs and the cows are 1,000 lbs. and you don't wean until 600 lbs.

I'm not trying to throw shi- in your fan, I'm just looking for a better way to do things.
SL
it sounds like to much aggravation, for treatment or prevention??

ALACOWMAN

Re:
it sounds like to much aggravation, for treatment or prevention??

In a cow/calf operation that is true, but in just a calf operation, where you have control of either their water and/or feed it is not.
The only way I know of to only treat the calves in a cow/calf operation is through the use of creep feeding, or you do a roundup, separation and injection.
Then with creep feeding the problem is getting the dosage correct as you may have a wide range of weights if you breed year round or have a long breeding season.
So in a cow/calf operation, of the 4 means to administer antibiotics, injection is probably the best route to take.

To me, as a calf operation ( I buy calves ) it is absolutely necessary to administer antibiotics upon purchase and up to 1 year of age, as my calves are not receiving any antibiotics from their mother's milk as they would be in a cow/calf operation.
So in a calf operation, of the 4 means to administer antibiotics, mixing with feed ( AUREOMYCIN )
or mixing with water (Duramycin) is my best route to take as I already have them separated, grouped by weight and I control their feed and water intake.

SL

when i bought roping calves,, i hit em with naxcel as soon as i got them home.. later went to baytril , and some times micotil, in a pinch.... which can kill a human if accidently injected....

use it for 2-3 months on one herd mainly for footrot and pink eye.

Latest posts