Aureomycin

Help Support CattleToday:

I doubt you could get enough in them to treat a active case. It is labeled for it but I believe I would give them Resflor if I thought they had it. They are too valuable to lose.

Back a 100 years ago before the good drugs were available and all we had to treat calves was la200 and spectam(sp?) I had a wreck with a bunch of lightweight calves and I used it in the water
I think it helped but there are better drugs available now

Use OTC/CTC in the water with babies pigs when signs start showing up (mostly in the winter time when you can't vent as well), but I always treated the ones that are actually sick with stronger stuff (excede in the case of pigs).

Shanghai":37a4u24v said:
Back a 100 years ago before the good drugs were available and all we had to treat calves was la200 and spectam(sp?) I had a wreck with a bunch of lightweight calves and I used it in the water
I think it helped but there are better drugs available now

First, thanks to all for the help. Fairly new to cattle game and in reading about your recommended treatment I realized this may not be a mild case of pneumonia. I live in a farming area so no cattlemen to ask. A friend told me three weeks to do nothing but I think it is past time to act. I have a calf, seven months old, who is breathing heavy. I can hear her up to twelve feet away at times. Otherwise she seems fine. No other simptoms. She is active, bright eyed and looks great. Any ideas and treatment. Again thanks for your knowledgable suggestions.

Mikelsoria":m0c1mxrh said:
What should be done in that situation if a calf is breathing heavily..??
Without any other symptoms just practice benign neglect. Willy nilly dispensing of antibiotics just costs you money although it does give you the feeling that at least you are doing something. A lot of dust and/or high temps and/or high humidity can cause what appears to be labored breathing.
A couple of years ago we had a calf that almost sounded like a snorter/roarer he breathing was so loud. Vet stuck a scope down her and found a flap of tissue that fluttered as she breathed. Just left her alone since she was going to the feedlot anyway.

Latest posts