Auger vs. Barb Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
I've given myself the Darwin Award for today. I was drilling a post hole for a new cross fence, this ground is so darn dry and hard, and backed the Tractor up next to an existing fence, kicked in the PTO and guess what? The 12" Auger kicked when it hit the ground going right into a Perimeter fence. Rolled up 100 feet of wire before I could kill the PTO. Sparks were flying and so was my mouth. I knew I should have dug that one by hand. :oops:

Yep, reminds me of the time I was setting a couple posts to hang a cattle rub. Thought, oh this will only take a few minutes. Backed up, dropped the auger, hit my water line, three hours later I was done. :oops:

I think it is imperative to set posts as close to a water line as humanly possible--or closer if you can manage...if you don't the fence could quite possibly fall right down!!!

Crowderfarms":3naav4ay said:
I've given myself the Darwin Award for today. I was drilling a post hole for a new cross fence, this ground is so darn dry and hard, and backed the Tractor up next to an existing fence, kicked in the PTO and guess what? The 12" Auger kicked when it hit the ground going right into a Perimeter fence. Rolled up 100 feet of wire before I could kill the PTO. Sparks were flying and so was my mouth. I knew I should have dug that one by hand. :oops:

Sounds like a great way to roll up an old fence you are replacing. :lol:

If I have to drill next to a fence, I use one size smaller bit than I need. Then when the hole is dug, I use my trench shovel to cut the hole a little bigger. Even with the hard ground, this is a lot easier than digging the entire thing out by hand. Most of our holes are 12 inches, but I use my 9 inch bit.

I learned the hard way this summer to never use a grade 5 bolt as a shear pin in the digger. Head didn't break off, bent over and elongated hole in auger from a nice round 1/2'" to a new-and-improved 1/2"x2" long trough.

Digger+Strong Pin+85 horse tractor=Not Good.

I worked on a farm for a older couple when I was in high school that wanted me to till up a flower bed for his wife one day.

The new flower bed was next to a chain link fence, not thinking as most high schoolers do, I started it up and went to work. Needless to say the tiller outweighted me and the ground was pretty hard and before I knew that thing grabbed a holt of that fence climbed up all over it and made a he*# of a mess before I could get it shut down.

Luckily the old man thought that was the funniest thing he had ever saw and he had enough money I just rebuilt the fence as I built the flower bed.

Now I try to look around before I just go to it.(I guess machinary always wins huh?)

I'm glad nobody got hurt. A local fellow got his pants leg caught in his auger and it twisted off his lower leg at the knee. He lived and now walks with a prosthesis. Must have smarted a bit.

I have to admit that equipment scares me a little and that's a good thing.

Funny stories! :lol:

At least you werent like a guy in our area a while back. He was digging post holes & hit a phone line. Screwed up phone service to several nearby towns for about 8 hours. I didnt know they were connected in any way but it also knocked out cell phone service to folks with cell phones with the same number prefixes of the towns. :shock:

Put a piece of old plywood against the fence and secure with baleing wire. You can dig right next to it. Just don't get the bottom of the wood caught in the bit. It will lift it.

I was using my Dad's loader tractor to dig a bit of a firepit a couple years back. Turns out the Gas Co-op line ran a little closer to surface than we thought. Luckily it didn't spark, but I called the local Fire Dept. to ask the guys - I grew up with most of 'em - what the phone number was for the Gas Co-op. In 10 mintues they came blazing over the hill with the rescue truck, water truck, ambulance and Fire Cheif. Apparently when I got off the phone with them we had a vastly different idea of what was going on.

Luckily the County didn't bill me, but I paid a fair price in humility over the following months. Of course the neighbours were driving by when the entire 'brigade' was standing around in full rescue attire, telling me how to patch plastic gas line. :oops: :lol:

Crowderfarms,

When I do stuff like that I feel my dad and grandad grinning near by. Could have been worse. Nobody got hurt.

Were you meaning to take that part of the fence out anyway? :)

Bret":2e8sfi93 said:
Crowderfarms,

When I do stuff like that I feel my dad and grandad grinning near by. Could have been worse. Nobody got hurt.

Were you meaning to take that part of the fence out anyway? :)
Not Hardly. That type disaster was a first for me.Scared me when that auger was taking up that 4 strands. There wont be a repeat of of that one. It was emmbarassing, but I wanted to post it, to spare it to happen to anyone else.

Remindes me of the time me and a friend were going to put new fenders on his old truck. We got the old ones off and had new ones laid on the ground when his mom wanted him to move the truck. You guessed it he ran over the new fenders so we put the old ones back on.

At least no one was hurt. JHH

Latest posts