Auctions: Agree or Disagree?

Help Support CattleToday:

For example Camp Cooley is having sale in Nov. yall think they will get there buddy's to bid are people who are not even in ther breed

I like Frankies advice as well. If you know what you will give it sure makes alot of things unimportant. Sometimes I will even let the owner know what I would give before the sale to see if we can work a deal.

Stephen there is no education in life that comes free. There is always tuition to pay. School of Hard Knocks is no different. Go back and read Frankies post again. Like anything else in life if you go unprepared to an auction chances are you are going to pay more tuition.

Auctions are just like magic tricks. Nothing is as it appears. Not always crooked just usually alot different than you think. Most deals of considerable money are put together before the sale. Trades, 50 cent dollars, percentage ownership, etc..

One point that needs to be mentioned is don't take a wife, with a heart as big as Montana and a sucker for lonesome little heifers, with you...and if you do make sure she goes to the restroom at the same time as you do.
Last year I came home from a sale with two heifers that I didn't buy....a real surprize when you settle up accounts and Susie's name is on the buy slip. God I love that woman...never a dull minute.

Dave Mc

I was at a registered Angus sale this weekend. I was in the front row because when I got there, it was the only seat left. The ringman kept shaking his flyer at me as if to get me to try to bid. He would take my bid when I took a drink of water or scratched my head. I just laughed, I think he was trying to get others around think I was bidding. In one case I took a drink of water and turned my head at the same time, I started the bid at $4000 by making this move. My advice is don't get sucked in, don't worry, if you didn't make the bid "intentionally", forget it or just shake your head no.

What I found interesting was a couple setting next to my GF was asking her questions which she deferred to me. The guy was asking strange questions but buying $2500-$3200 cows at the same time. One question he asked me was "if I buy I bred cow, do I get the calf". I explained to him that unless they specifically state the unborn calf is separate, then yes he gets the calf also. Now, why would someone be paying that kind of money for cows and asking those kinds of questions? Too much money?

flaboy":3cnhibvp said:
What I found interesting was a couple setting next to my GF was asking her questions which she deferred to me. The guy was asking strange questions but buying $2500-$3200 cows at the same time. One question he asked me was "if I buy I bred cow, do I get the calf". I explained to him that unless they specifically state the unborn calf is separate, then yes he gets the calf also. Now, why would someone be paying that kind of money for cows and asking those kinds of questions? Too much money?

I think I know him.

This has been a very interesting thread. We all have to buy and sell at auctions but learning the hard way can put you out of business before you get started. One way to avoid some of the pitfalls is to get help. Ask someone you trust to help you buy your cattle. Many of the bred associations have area rep that is paid by the bred association to help buyers and sellers of the bred they represent.
A bred association rep won't stay in business long if he is cheating people.
Deal with reputable people and you will be treated fairly.

I've had my fair share of auctions as well. Started out buying baby calves at the local livestock auctions up north.. learned a LOT the hard way! Bought two heifers "per head" instead of both in the ring for the same price.. :oops: . The auctioneer ran two steers in the same group in and asked if I wanted to give the same for them. haha.

Now I got to registered sales, and it's pretty much the same deal. If you're in the registered business, you should have a pretty good idea what you'd give for a particular animal based on the information in the catalog, and then backing that up with the animal itself!

I can't help but comment on the "little woman" comment made earlier. Interestingly enough.. I find that MEN are generally more competitive at the auction ("oh no, that so-and-so isn't going to BEST me") and I've seen men run stuff up more than women do! And as a side note, when my husband goes with me to a sale, and there's a female I particularly like, if I give up the bid, he'll pick it up for me! Do I have him trained, or WHAT? :)

I have some good friends who own and run a auction company and I have worked for them longer than I care to remember and one thing I have found is that reputation is everything in the auction business. A bad rep gets around faster than anything and once you get one its hard to lose it. We primarily sell equipment and such and very little in the animal department, and as somebody else posted being a informed buyer or seller is the only way to do business at a sell. I have seen people buy used tires for more than new ones cost and I have seen things that should bring good money fall flat. A good auctioneer can read the crowd and knows when to use humor and how to keep the crowd interested in the sell regardless of what they are selling. Anyway just my few cents worth.

I was at a registered Angus sale this weekend. I was in the front row because when I got there, it was the only seat left. The ringman kept shaking his flyer at me as if to get me to try to bid. He would take my bid when I took a drink of water or scratched my head. I just laughed, I think he was trying to get others around think I was bidding. In one case I took a drink of water and turned my head at the same time, I started the bid at $4000 by making this move. My advice is don't get sucked in, don't worry, if you didn't make the bid "intentionally", forget it or just shake your head no.

Our yards here are pretty good about that - if the auctioneer isn't sure if you bid or not he will stop and ask, he pays attention to what people are doing, were they waving at a friend or a fly.... But they also start out the sale with the reminder that when you bid it is binding, yada yada yada - at a horse sale a couple weeks ago a gal was bidding on a horse and then re-negged when she had the high bid (claimed she hadn't bid) and he chewed her butt! But there is a cattle buyer who will stand behind someone bidding and bid them up and drop the bid at the last second. He's just a jerk to everyone and I am surprised that one of the older ranchers hasn't thumped him good but sadly enough we need buyers so badly I guess we have to put up with him.

Bottom line, at an auction, pay attention to how things are selling, the auctioneers lingo, I went to a lot of auctions before I ever dared bid and I still make absolutely sure that I know what I am paying and my limits before even raising my hand. It is really easy to get caught up and then regret it! There is no "UNDO" or "BACK" button at an auction!

I attend about 6 auto auctions and 2 livestock auctions a week and I see price jacking at both, but I dont get caught up in worrying about it. If i'm bidding on something I know what its worth, and therefore I know where to stop at so that I can still make a profit. I know that price jacking is aggervating, but in a sense the owners are just pricing you their merchandise.

Latest posts