Aubrac bull photos

Help Support CattleToday:

Aubracusa":isugfgqc said:
(I still don't know why I'm having trouble getting the photos directly into these posts, so I apologize).

you have to include the
tag behind it.

DOC HARRIS":1yjaj0f6 said:
oakcreekfarms":1yjaj0f6 said:
What's his frame size
Look at the first post on this thread. It's 3.7

DOC HARRIS

unless he has been remeasured from about 8 weeks ago, i think we actually calculated him to be a frame 3.93... not that it really makes a difference, just my little OCD issue.

Aubracusa":qvka27rc said:
You might want to ask him directly why he chose Aubracs after looking at so many different breeds, but I think he sees the breed as an ideal complement to Angus-based genetics.

well, for the record, my family is all Angus and sells registered bulls every year along with having a pretty much straight Angus commercial herd. I am breaking the trend a little and building a commerciall herd that has been "formulated" as opposed to "arrived at" like most commercial herds.

simply, there are 2 registered herds (Angus and Aubrac) that will be used to make F1 females as the base of the commercial herd. they will be bred to an Angus bull for terminal calves (3/4 Angus, 1/4 Aubrac).

when i went to Nebraska for the national aubrac sale, i honestly expected to see another breed that wouldnt work. i was very surprised to see exactly what i was looking for. something instinctive kicked in and i knew my search was over. to list the reasons i chose Aubrac:
  • moderate continental with muscling
    easy calving
    terrific structure
    great udders
    no disposition issues
    built/selected to be grazers (corn price issue)
    very easy fleshing (corn price issue at finishing)
    they change colors according to season (not kidding, dark in the winter and light in the summer)
    brown is my favorite color :lol:

kvcanes":9wojo2xh said:
[Doc I see you are still selling snake oil at the "moderate sized cow" carnival. :D

Thanks to Docs snake oil I have a beef farm that made it through the BSE scare, raises more pounds of beef on my pasture then any large framed cows can do, and now will make it through this corn price issue without effecting my profit margin to any large extent.

That is some darn good snake oil your selling Doc keep it up. ;-)

Moderate sized cows have proven themselves time and agian to put more pounds of beef on the scales consistantly year after year then their larger sized counterparts can on the same pasture. It is a simple fact that really hits home when hay or grain prices go up and or beef prices go down!

I would call frame 5 cows moderate framed as well, I don't think that cattle have to be frame 3.5's to be called moderate.

Wow you ask for comments and you sure get alot of tech stuff. Mr. Aubracusa you have a heck of a bull. I've seen him.... the pics do no justice...Much better face to face. He's in the top I have seen and I think that Bruce can stand in the ring also. Has anyone seen the Trafficjam or Overlord? WOW there too!

Chuckie":12h68jx7 said:
If I stand an 3.7 frame Aubrac next to an Angus bull of the same size, what frame is the Angus bull according to AAA?
Chuckie

You'll have a 3.7 frame bull you can't sell.

If he measures 3.7 (or 3.93), but he produces 5 frame, then he is genetically larger than 3.7 frame assuming the cows were not big cows over 6.3 frame.

His phenotype tells us what he might produce.

He is a heavyweight bull for his frame.

He might be:
A 3.7 frame thick bull,

or, he might not be. He might produce progeny like himself, or he might produce progeny that are more like his "expected" performance for his weight.
;-)

With the limited numbers we have, it looks like his genetic frame is larger than his phenotypic frame.

Aren't outliers frustrating? They are rare.

Badlands

Latest posts