ATV Cattle Guard

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Any body use one of these ATV Cattle guards, curious how well they work or opinion of them?

atvcattleguardcattlelrg.jpg

Replacing lots of fences and thought it might be handy to add a few of them as I go along. Make checking cows on 4 wheeler a lot easier.

http://www.danielsmfg.com/mainpage.html

That's just asking for it. I've seen some before that went up and over a normal height fence. Looked like they work well but also looked like a good way to get your killin' done.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3h9savu3 said:
That's just asking for it. I've seen some before that went up and over a normal height fence. Looked like they work well but also looked like a good way to get your killin' done.

cfpinz

Are you meaning hurting your self or the cows?

Do you think a person would have a problem with cows getting out with them? Or mabye getting leg caught in and hurt?

I made one by taking part of an old round bale feeder and fastening a cattle panel to it. I used it in an area where I was limit creep feeding calves and hauling feed out with a 4-wheeler every day and it seemed to work fine. The cows would gather around and wanted to get over but they didn't try that I know of. But I'm not comfortable enough to use it somewhere where the cows could actually get out and end up on the road or in someones corn field.

If you are using electric fence you could try one of the drive through gates. I have one that works pretty good, when on the 4-wheeler you can just grab the rubber part and push the gate open when you go through and it will spring back to close.

aplusmnt":3rr3nt7e said:
cfpinz":3rr3nt7e said:

cfpinz

Do you think a person would have a problem with cows getting out with them? Or mabye getting leg caught in and hurt?

The one in the picture doesn't look like it would deter a cow/bull intent on traveling, or a calf for that matter. The ones I've seen were just two ramps, at 45 degree angles on either side of the fence, going up the whole 4'-5' or so of fence height with a brace running thru the fence to keep them from spreading apart. Add a little rain or better yet some snow and somebody's gettin hurt. And if I remember correctly, you have children, wouldn't want them trying to go over these type.

Get off and open the gate, good grief! :p

cfpinz

cfpinz":ohc5l9sn said:
aplusmnt":ohc5l9sn said:
cfpinz":ohc5l9sn said:

cfpinz

The one in the picture doesn't look like it would deter a cow/bull intent on traveling, or a calf for that matter. The ones I've seen were just two ramps, at 45 degree angles on either side of the fence, going up the whole 4'-5' or so of fence height with a brace running thru the fence to keep them from spreading apart. Add a little rain or better yet some snow and somebody's gettin hurt. And if I remember correctly, you have children, wouldn't want them trying to go over these type.

Get off and open the gate, good grief! :p

cfpinz

Yea I would never want one of those. Knowing my two boys they would be ramping it and playing evil knievel.

You know what they say put the lazies person on the project and they will find a way to make it easier.

I've got some old gals that would just hop over without batting an eyelash but then again they have some ear on 'em. The calves would get hung up in it, the bull would step over it and kids would dare each other to go Evil Kneavel as soon as they saw it.

I've been to the Daniels shop and looked at them. They are longer than they appear in the picture, a cow would have to be pretty determined to try jumping over one. Like I stated before, I made one and was creep feeding calves on the other side and I never had cows or bulls go over. Even though they could sure smell the feed and crowd around.

Kids are another issue though.

Same principal as a cattle grid .even the most determined of cattle wont walk on steel bars their hooves go through. Laid on the ground with about 6 ft of fence crossways both ends and you drive your car over.

If this is wide enough say 4 ft at the base it should work pretty well. A little bit wider and stronger and you could put the 4 wheel drive jeep over

Yep.. my cattle would step all over that thing... and into it..
good for broken legs I would say.

I have built these similarly out of everything from 5" posts and electric poles to 1 1/2" pipe with braces out of 2" pipe. I have horses and cattle on them. I can move them from fence to fence with the forks on my tractor. I have never had one jump.
I run a Suzuki samari over them as well. I think the most important thing is keeping the pipe spread apart and making them look wide. The livestock and test them and step on solid ground. Conventional cattle guards are flat and apear to be normal ground. the raised middle helps deter livestock from trying them.
Good luck

Limomike":3m45xn8k said:
Yep.. my cattle would step all over that thing... and into it..
good for broken legs I would say.

Nah You would be surprised , they will check it out ,put a foot on here and there but won't step on it. Nothing ventured nothing gained ,saves a lot of gate opening

Latest posts