Atlanta

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been in Denver as another place I have no desire to go back. I can see why a lot of people are wanting out.

Last edited:
I used to enjoy CO and WY, but can honestly say I don't give a flying flip if I ever make it out that way ever again. Beautiful scenery, but nothing but a tourist and $ trap if I've ever seen one.

Disclaimer: I'm 3-1/2 sheets to the wind right now, so take it as you will.
You're ready to face Atlanta in that condition. Used to be a joke about how to drive in Charleston, SC.; Either drive drunk or drive like you're drunk.

Back around 1978, a buddy of mine and I were pulling an open-top stock trailer loaded with aluminum siding from Eastman GA to Asheville NC ... we were 20 yrs old... hit HotLanta on I-75 at afternoon rush hour. I'd pretty much never been on anything more than a 2-lane backroad before that trip. It was a nightmare. And we hadn't even started drinking yet.

Anyone ever travel in the Atlanta area pulling a 24ft horse trailer? I did yesterday. Hopefully never again. 5 lanes of crazy running 65 mph.
My Ex is from Conyers..she can drive through Atlanta with the best of them..I always let her drive when we got too Cartersville..hate Atlanta,even more now..it's the new California ..

I have a sister who lives on the north side of Seattle. Ten years ago I told her that I love her but it is against my religion to drive through Seattle. Haven't been to her house since then. It is like pulling teeth for me to go back to western Washington or Oregon anymore. That is anywhere along the I-5 corridor. I like the interstate freeway here. Fairly regularly it will be a mile to the next car ahead of you and the same distance behind. Very little local traffic because there aren't a lot of people here. So it is just long distance travelers coming from or going to Portland and Seattle to the west or Boise and Salt Lake City to the east.

Add the Orlando, Fla area to the list for miserable bad traffic. Most major roads here are now toll roads that's adds $10 - $20 to your daily travel expenses and you still have to deal with heavy traffic, long delays, and creeps cutting you off, panic stops, or escape and evade crashes in front of you. It seems Orlando has become the minority capital of the world with most not even speaking English. Every square inch of the old Florida wilderness areas, pastures, and orange groves are being bulldozed and cleared replaced with concrete, asphalt, roads, housing projects, condos, and shopping malls. We would like to escape this madness but don't know where to go.

Dave

You think Denver is bad. Try pulling a trailer through Tulsa Oklahoma during rush hour. Miss your jumping off exit there. Good chance you will wind up having to go throug a turn pike and detour in order to get back to where you were headed.

I lived in Huston Texas for a while and it has if i remember right the 430 loop. Basically that freeway makes a complete giant circle around downtown Huston. It's pretty bad but in my opinion nothing like Tulsa Oklahoma. I have only been through it a couple of times got cut off and ended up lost each time because of it. Might not be as bad as it seems if i was more familiar with it.

Add the Orlando, Fla area to the list for miserable bad traffic. Most major roads here are now toll roads that's adds $10 - $20 to your daily travel expenses and you still have to deal with heavy traffic, long delays, and creeps cutting you off, panic stops, or escape and evade crashes in front of you. It seems Orlando has become the minority capital of the world with most not even speaking English. Every square inch of the old Florida wilderness areas, pastures, and orange groves are being bulldozed and cleared replaced with concrete, asphalt, roads, housing projects, condos, and shopping malls. We would like to escape this madness but don't know where to go.

Dave
I can drive from Texas to Florida in the amount of time it takes to drive thru Florida. It's the most miserable part of the trip. In Texas you will get run over driving slow in the left lane but it's obviously not like that every where. In Florida they will clog the whole freeway, maybe 4 or 5 lanes, up driving below the speed limit. Then on the opposite end you have people driving like total idiots switching lanes and cutting thru people because if it. I never realized the importance of right lane left lane deal until then.

... and your right, when you think things cant get any more ridiculous... welcome to the edge or Orlando.

. There is generally a 4 hour window for safe travel in Atlanta - midnight to 4 am. Rest is crazy, especially 6am to 9 am. There is no good route around Atlanta.
You are very right about that 4 hour window. When I was stationed at Fort Benning, they would not let us go on leave until midnight. That would have me hitting Atlanta about 1:30 AM and it was smooth sailing then.

Heading out to Ocola Fl tonight. Timing it so I should go through Atlanta between 1-2 am. But back through about 1-2 pm tomorrow. I hate Atlanta

Latest posts