Atlanta

Help Support CattleToday:

Just be glad the trailer is empty. I have hauled cattle through Atlanta many times with a 24 foot gooseneck. Most stressful driving I have ever done. You can't leave any space in front of you or someone will fill the space - and quickly stop. Most traffic is moving at 15 to 20 mph over the speed limit with sudden stops. And constant lane changing and weaving. There is generally a 4 hour window for safe travel in Atlanta - midnight to 4 am. Rest is crazy, especially 6am to 9 am. There is no good route around Atlanta.

Denver on I-25 with a stock trailer, just get in the middle lane and hold your position. Put on blinker for 15 seconds and slowly move the direction of your blinker. There will be some horn honking and hand signals, but just keep it steady and the smaller cars will get out of your way. Next alternative is get in the left lane and try to keep up with the 80-90 mph traffic (when it isn't jammed up) and hope like heck nobody jams on the brakes in front of you.

I feel your pain. Step daughter lives just south of ATL. Seems like we used to have to visit 6 freaking times a year.

I've never driven through Atlanta, and hope to never have to. Around 35 years ago my dad drove a 32 ft motorhome through there a few times on our way to and from Florida. Traffic was terrible back then I don't want to think about what is now. In later years after he passed we went down I 65 through Alabama instead of I 75 to avoid Atlanta.

Hades is right off I-85 in the Atlanta area. That place is my nightmare.
I totally agree. I have figured out how to get back to where I dropped the trailer by using a 2 lane road through the country. I came back that way and liked it. Only other place we go to that requires a trip through Atlanta is when we deliver to Ocala Fl.

It is easy to identify a native Colorado Denverite,, It will be the 4th vehicle through the red light. ......or more.....

It has been a few years since I was in downtown Atlanta. I have no desire to go back.

Last edited:
Atlanta is bad but most metro areas are,at least they have a lot of lanes which helps. DC is awful and Minneapolis and Chicago is not far behind. And they charge you a fortune for the suffering of driving around Chicago.

I like to try and find one of those old school Peterbilts with the BIG stacks on it and get behind them. Those guys will turn the Jake brake all the way up, get a running start then dump it off behind a pile of cars, it goes off like a machine cannon. They part like the Red Sea. Then they jump back on the hammer til they catch the next pack. I have made some pretty good time and saved myself a lot of aggravation with that thru the years. It works surprisingly well! The guys pulling cattle pots are usually really good at it closely followed by flat deck drivers.

Denver on I-25 with a stock trailer, just get in the middle lane and hold your position. Put on blinker for 15 seconds and slowly move the direction of your blinker. There will be some horn honking and hand signals, but just keep it steady and the smaller cars will get out of your way. Next alternative is get in the left lane and try to keep up with the 80-90 mph traffic (when it isn't jammed up) and hope like heck nobody jams on the brakes in front of you.
I used to enjoy CO and WY, but can honestly say I don't give a flying flip if I ever make it out that way ever again. Beautiful scenery, but nothing but a tourist and $ trap if I've ever seen one.

Disclaimer: I'm 3-1/2 sheets to the wind right now, so take it as you will.

Latest posts