At slaughter ... abnormalties in cow's reproductive tract ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
OK, the 3-1/2 year girl is going down as burger tomorrow. Have cussed and discussed her previously. I'm curious about what her issues may have been, and hope to see/identify those in the slaughter process. What should I be looking for -- for free-martin, cystic issues, whatever ?? Google'd it, but didn't see pics spot on to my question. Thx!

And I will update my post about net burger vs. hanging weight when I have that info.

Take pictures.

1. Find the reproductive tract - if you can't find it, possibly a freemartin.
2. Identify two uterine horns, two ovaries, one cervix - if all parts are not present, possibly a freemartin. If parts are not distinguishable, consider focal peritonitis, uterine abscess(es), etc. If one side larger than another - ovary: possibly cystic, uterus: possibly a pyo.
3. Cut out the reproductive tract. Take pictures - of the entire thing - not little glimpses of half a uterine horn. We can always zoom in later but we can't back out to view the entire tract if the pictures weren't done right initially.
4. Cut open the reproductive tract - if filled with pus or abnormal colored fluid, likely a pyometra and would explain not settling. If fetal bones present, it's a mummy and would also explain not cycling/settling.
5. Post pictures. ;-)

milkmaid":da0u4iyy said:
Take pictures.

1. Find the reproductive tract - if you can't find it, possibly a freemartin.
2. Identify two uterine horns, two ovaries, one cervix - if all parts are not present, possibly a freemartin. If parts are not distinguishable, consider focal peritonitis, uterine abscess(es), etc. If one side larger than another - ovary: possibly cystic, uterus: possibly a pyo.
3. Cut out the reproductive tract. Take pictures - of the entire thing - not little glimpses of half a uterine horn. We can always zoom in later but we can't back out to view the entire tract if the pictures weren't done right initially.
4. Cut open the reproductive tract - if filled with pus or abnormal colored fluid, likely a pyometra and would explain not settling. If fetal bones present, it's a mummy and would also explain not cycling/settling.
5. Post pictures. ;-)

Thx, Claire!

Latest posts