Arnold is gone

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, I shipped our old Gelbvieh bull Arnold yesterday... Couldn't have asked for things to work better (always a concern when you have to load a bull)... He came for water, which is by the gate, so we opened it, and he wandered up to the corral area... There were heifers there, and their pen is next to the loading chute and crowding pen, he walked right in, and I closed the pen. He sniffed the heifers a little while I backed up the trailer, then I opened up the gate and he wandered down and stepped right into the trailer, I closed the divider and tailgate and off I went. 3 hours later I was at the sale barn, dropped him off, and he moseyed over into his pen... came and sniffed me and was happy for a scratching behind the ears, and then went to get his RFID tag, for which he was calm too. Really couldn't have asked for a better behaved animal... We got him as a 2 year old, $2000 delivered, and that was 5 years ago.. With bull prices and the condition he's in, we may get more for him now... I'll be able to let you know more when the cheque comes back.

My dad was telling Arnold "You might be lucky and get to go on the range even"... I didn't have the heart to tell Arnold that range might be a Fridgidaire and not a mountain air!

Well, got the cheque today, 1975 lbs @ 107.00 cwt = $2113.25, After $64 in deductions we got $2050, so we made $50 bucks on him, and used him for 5 years... Maybe this next guy can do the same. There was a big bull sale that same day at the yard, and that may have helped us as there were lots of people who wanted a bull, and he looked in fine shape. I think he may have had close to the top price for a butcher bull that sale (High for the week, of 4 different sales was 110/cwt... We were right in that area anyhow..

May he go on the range, whichever type that is!

Latest posts