Army worms-------Help a rookie

Help Support CattleToday:

they are the worst in NC they have ever been , we sprayed since the full moon in July, we had to spray some fields 2 times , we were using Tombstone at the 2 oz per acre , it didnt kill them , we sprayed 1 field with almost 3 oz and it worked , but we fiinally switched to Lannate and of course it kills everything , I hear that the Tombstone folks are going to up thier recommended rate to 4 oz per arce on army worms ,

You can't beat Lannate. I'll use that on bad infestations. Gives you some satisfaction when you can see them writhe in pain only minutes after you spray.

This year I tried to be more environmentally friendly and sprayed cabaryl and dimlin with the thought the carbaryl would kill the adults and the dimlin would stop any new worms from growing to any significant size to do damage. Only problem was the population was so high from the following hatch the tiny worms still did damage just from their shear numbers. Lannate remedied that. Fields are worm free now.

We have them bad again, the wife is spraying them right now. Going to have to buy some Lannate to try, hopefully Griffins warehouse carries it.

Banjo":4aveqbx2 said:
So, how do you know you got army worms? Do they prefer Bermuda grass?

Walk through your field early in the morning when there is a dew and check your pants closely. It works for me. The earlier you can spray the less damage.

I spot sprayed, probably a waste of time, but I did it anyway. Cut the hay Saturday, and have been inspecting closely, and seen no more damage. I think my neighbor is going to have to reseed some big spots. I guess I was fortunate.

greybeard":2yyf11eg said:
Texas Gal":2yyf11eg said:
I've had good luck in the past with DiPel. Here's the link:

http://www.valent.com/agriculture/produ ... /index.cfm

Even though it's a biological it kills those little b@$t@rd$ quickly.
Dipel dust--Bacillus thuringiensis--gonna take a heck of a lot of it to protect 20 acres.

Yes, sir,that would be a lot of dusting ;-) ; however, it's is a "dry flowable" that is mixed with water and sprayed. I just used some yesterday evening after spotting army worms in a couple of different areas.

Latest posts