Army worms and bermuda grass stem maggots.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
My wife checked the hay fields and the army worms are just beginning to take hold. So we're having 60 units of N, mixed with Baythroid and Dimilin sprayed per acre. Hopefully we'll get another cutting of hay. Just wondering if anyone else is having worm and maggot troubles?

highgrit":1tgevjbd said:
My wife checked the hay fields and the army worms are just beginning to take hold. So we're having 60 units of N, mixed with Baythroid and Dimilin sprayed per acre. Hopefully we'll get another cutting of hay. Just wondering if anyone else is having worm and maggot troubles?

Its pretty bad around here. The UF agronomist suggested cutting the hay once you seen the stems starting to die. they are working diligently trying to find a solution.

The county agent here in Van Zandt county told me he had found Bermuda stem maggots in a field in the northern part of the county. He also said that armyworms are being reported in all parts of the county. About right, we got a rain 10 to 14 days ago.

By the way, if you get BSM just go ahead and take what hay is there and start over.

Stem Maggots have been pretty ruff on our Bermuda the last few weeks. We have cut and are in the process of spraying now.

My fescue died, and didn't come back, the only time I had army worms. Does bermuda come back after an attack?

Bigfoot":1ytegfc7 said:
My fescue died, and didn't come back, the only time I had army worms. Does bermuda come back after an attack?

yes, the fly lays a egg in the whorl of a stem and that stem will die . I guess if the infestation is bad enough it could kill it but right now you just see the one stem dead and when you pull it apart there will be a little maggot. at the field day I was at the DR. was explaining it and showed me how to look for it and I pulled one stem and pealed it back and saw the maggot. he said that was the first one he had seen live. he was only finding the flys and the reminats of where the worms were. His wife was leading the study on it for UF

The stem maggots could be a bad deal for hay in the south. It seems it's really hard to kill them off.

highgrit":242kbtlu said:
The stem maggots could be a bad deal for hay in the south. It seems it's really hard to kill them off.
I completely agree.
Stem Maggots are a major concern here. Almost impossible to kill.They just keep reappearing. I am tired of spraying for them.

Latest posts