Are they bred

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattleman2000

Reaction score
I have two herefords and one calved June 23 and the other memorial day weekend the bull has been with them since the Monday after the last one calved. Are they bred

Well, get them preg checked and you will find out. I think this past summer's heat took a toll on calving and breeding, but better to find out now so you can plan. Have you seen any signs of heat?

I watch them after putting the bull out and mark on my calendar when he's paying attention to them (early morning and late afternoon seems to be best time to watch); I also mark about 18 days later so I know when to watch for a cow coming back into heat. When the vet comes to preg check, I can give her an approximate breeding date. Then I mark on the calendar the approximate date to keep an eye on them for calving. This really helps!

Only 3 ways to tell, palpate em, blood test em, or wait about 280 days and see if a calf pops out

hooknline":3qai785l said:
Only 3 ways to tell, palpate em, blood test em, or wait about 280 days and see if a calf pops out
I have a hard time waiting, blood test only cost a couple of bucks and about a week to find out. The hard part for me is how long is too long to hold onto an open cow.
I like to hunt with dogs and an ole timer told me, "don't fall in love with a dog cause you might have to shoot him one day". Good advice, the same applies to open cows.

Check out a thread (I think it was in the coffee shop) about how to tell if a cow is pregnant

I think one of the tests was to see if the underside of her tongue was red... :p

Nesikep":3stgwr10 said:
Check out a thread (I think it was in the coffee shop) about how to tell if a cow is pregnant

I think one of the tests was to see if the underside of her tongue was red... :p
:nod: you can also check their ear wax if it's yellow she's bred, brown means she isn't.

Hey, you changed your name? Cattleman2000 to Cattleman2002.

Anyway, please let us know if they are pregnant.

Gale is right about the heat. I had several get bred only to slip the calf. I AI'd later than I had really wanted to and put the bull in as clean-up. I didn't have a high success rate on my AI efforts. I A.I'd in June and it was in the high 90's that day.

Iso, my ear wax is yellow on the outside and brown down deeper....does that mean I'm bred?

They one that memorial day weekend was open or he said not far enough to tell. Other one jumped the gate didnt get into the chute. He did say three angus heifers are breed.

Cattleman2002":2je4o2zi said:
They one that memorial day weekend was open or he said not far enough to tell. Other one jumped the gate didnt get into the chute. He did say three angus heifers are breed.

Guarantee the jumper is bred, those wild buggers always are. ;-)

Cattleman2000":1rwgo3ed said:
I have two herefords and one calved June 23 and the other memorial day weekend the bull has been with them since the Monday after the last one calved. Are they bred

Thought you had just the two Herefords, but you have some other cows as well? Hope they are all bred and that you have a happy spring 2012 ahead of you!

Latest posts