Are more people buying what cow/bull product private treaty?

Help Support CattleToday:

OhioRiver

Reaction score
Black Angus
Red Angus
Charolais
Polled Hereford
Murray Grey

thru private treaty and good marketing what is my best option in your opinion to raise as a breed either commercial or seedstock

OhioRiver":2v9gtahe said:
Black Angus
Red Angus
Charolais
Polled Hereford
Murray Grey

thru private treaty and good marketing what is my best option in your opinion to raise as a breed either commercial or seedstock

Any of the above.

Sale price generally coincides with how much you can "Say" about them.............................................

thanks Mike

do you mean how deep I can get with my bells and whistles info marketing

MikeC":366yp513 said:
OhioRiver":366yp513 said:
Black Angus
Red Angus
Charolais
Polled Hereford
Murray Grey

Any of the above.

Sale price generally coincides with how much you can "Say" about them.............................................

OhioRiver":191ldcnk said:
Black Angus
Red Angus
Charolais
Polled Hereford
Murray Grey

There are "mini-Angus Associations" in Oklahoma and Texas that put on consignment sales several times a year. (NE Angus Assn, OK&T Assn, Great Plains are some here in OK. Red River, ALOT, Mid-Texas are some in TX.) Those are good opportunities for small producers to sell registered cattle. And there are more Angus bull sales in my area than you can shake a stick at. They usually have newsletters to offer cattle for sale at private treaty, or websites that offer links or information on their operation.

If you're in the commercial business, look long and hard at putting some calves through some sort of retained ownership program. Most states offer a program for producers to feed out a few head.

Frankie
can you please tell me what retained ownership is? I do not know but have heard that term before. Is that because I am new or what that I would need that?

Frankie":1xck909n said:
OhioRiver":1xck909n said:
Black Angus
Red Angus
Charolais
Polled Hereford
Murray Grey

There are "mini-Angus Associations" in Oklahoma and Texas that put on consignment sales several times a year. (NE Angus Assn, OK&T Assn, Great Plains are some here in OK. Red River, ALOT, Mid-Texas are some in TX.) Those are good opportunities for small producers to sell registered cattle. And there are more Angus bull sales in my area than you can shake a stick at. They usually have newsletters to offer cattle for sale at private treaty, or websites that offer links or information on their operation.

If you're in the commercial business, look long and hard at putting some calves through some sort of retained ownership program. Most states offer a program for producers to feed out a few head.

"Retained Ownership" generally is owning and feeding your own calves through the slaughtering phase and getting paid on a "grid".

This way, you reap ALL the rewards and take ALL the gamble.

If your calves don't do well, you will not last long in this endeavor.

I understand the grid I think a bit now. Prices do fluxuate a great deal depending on season. In this instance, is it better for me to be a commercial producer slaughtering only the bulls and keeping the heifers or what

MikeC":2afqcucm said:
"Retained Ownership" generally is owning and feeding your own calves through the slaughtering phase and getting paid on a "grid".

I believe it is more up to you to decide what you want to do.
There are the people who raise just a calf crop and send them to market and buy their replacement heifers, some keep their own replacement heifers.
Raising bulls for sale either private treaty or auction.
Buying feeders and feeding them out and then selling them.
The retained ownership is also an option.
We cannot tell what to do because that is your desision.

I'm sure a few of the posters might know of a different type of cattle operation and will post it.

Starting a seedstock operation from scratch takes time, commitement and a lot of money. I have done it and invested a lot of all three.

If this is the path you choose you have to do 2 things well in order to reap any premiums. Raise good cattle and let people know you raise good cattle.

I wish you the best in whatever type of operation you pursue.

I really perfer to raise seekstock, I perfer the Chaorlais side of the business compared to the Angus side of the business because of a few main easy points...

Charolais, smaller force, controlled marketing, easier performance and the breed has the ability to be a size 5 frame, to 8 frame and you can create your own "functional" cowherd. You choose the size, you can choose the muscle, spring and rate of growth.

Angus, you have a larger Progressive Database with additional marketing and the best branded beef program in the business... Problem.. Unless you can afford to go out and spend 1.5 -3 million on getting 15-30 good proven donors from 2536, 57D, 1137, etc you would need 50-75 years to market and develop your own cow herd.. Example, Gaylan fink.. Great cattle, solid, functional, they produce, they grow with reason, great cattle, problem his sales only average 1800-2000k ... They are worth more then that, but he is not a guy who will buy a ton of outside genetics.. Thats the Problem !!

Private treaty sales for seedstock is always going to be more popular for seller.. it give you a chance to get people out to look at your herd, and allows you a chance to give them your sales pitch! You loose that advantage when you sell at the auction barn. But then, it seems to be hard to get someone to actually take the time to drive out to see your stock too. I think buyers like to go to registered sales where they can look at a bunch and make a selection, as opposed to driving from farm to farm.

Having said that, the Internet is growing as a marketing tool for purebred cattle also. Horse sites have been doing a bang up business the past few years. It's just a matter of time before cattle sites gain momentum

OhioRiver":3aut2sqb said:
I understand the grid I think a bit now. Prices do fluxuate a great deal depending on season. In this instance, is it better for me to be a commercial producer slaughtering only the bulls and keeping the heifers or what

MikeC":3aut2sqb said:

Ohio River: What do you understand about selling on the Grid?

As far as your question goes... Commercial or registered? up to you, Registered requires more management, marketing etc. If you are just starting out, get someone knowledgable to help you get a few Commercial cows and see how that goes. You can always get into the registered business later. When you need a good bull, pm me and I will set you up. :)

Dusty":13wx7b02 said:
Angus, you have a larger Progressive Database with additional marketing and the best branded beef program in the business... Problem.. Unless you can afford to go out and spend 1.5 -3 million on getting 15-30 good proven donors from 2536, 57D, 1137, etc you would need 50-75 years to market and develop your own cow herd.. Example, Gaylan fink.. Great cattle, solid, functional, they produce, they grow with reason, great cattle, problem his sales only average 1800-2000k ... They are worth more then that, but he is not a guy who will buy a ton of outside genetics.. Thats the Problem !!

You must have one heck of a successful program when you can imply that Galen Fink's sale averages leave something to be desired. For the record, he sold 186 Angus bulls in his last sale for an average of $3,489, 74 Charolais bulls for $3,317 and 16 Char x Angus bulls for $3,016. Most breeders would do well to breed their own cattle and sell to commercial producers for top dollar like the FInk program does instead of chasing the funny money pipe dream outfits.

Dusty: That is what a breeder does, develops his own bloodlines and goals and sticks to it. The people that you seem to think are breeders only chase the flavor of the week and really in the end do nothing productive.

Seedstock is the way I am going and I believe you that I have to produce good if not great cattle. Having said that.....I must market the great cattle aspect a ton. I have some good people steering me in the right direction on the marketing and promotion aspects. I have faith in them as they are successful and I need to follow their lead clearly.

tlmcr":svvqhxt6 said:
Starting a seedstock operation from scratch takes time, commitement and a lot of money. I have done it and invested a lot of all three.

If this is the path you choose you have to do 2 things well in order to reap any premiums. Raise good cattle and let people know you raise good cattle.

I wish you the best in whatever type of operation you pursue.

Latest posts