Applying AG Lime

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
I have 13 acres of very rocky soil. That is already hay field.
I need to apply ag lime and the fertilizer plant tells me I have to disc it in.
Has anyone top dressed ag lime on existing hay field? I put the fertilizer on that way.
I need to put 2 tons to the acre.
Thanks Jeff

Separate lime and fertilizer applications by at least 4 months or there will be some nutrients permanently bound up that you pay for. Same with lime and litter.

Yes.

Lime does move down in the soil profile, but it moves very slowly. A quarter inch per year is sometimes quoted.

Grazing effects lime reactivity and thus soil ph. I think part of it is the hoof action and part of it is biology. I would apply the lime and pound it with cattle.

It is best to apply lime in the fall allowing the weather to move it down into the soil profile. But it can be done any time of the year. I would avoid a hot dry windy time of the year as it can blow off your field to the neighbors. Don't spread nitrogen and lime at the same time. It can cause a chemical reaction which will volatilize the nitrogen off into the atmosphere. Stand downwind of a place where lime and and manure are spread at the same time. Take a deep breath you will know what I am saying.

Thanks for the great info. We are new to growing hay.
The field has been strip of most of the right fertilizer.
Also How long before I spread manure on a field after put on lime?
Thanks again Jeff

Takes about 6 mos for it to start working. I'd get it dumped now & let the pile get rained on for a while then spread it. Otherwise you'll just have a dust storm & a lot of it will go to your neighbors pasture depending on the wind.

Approx 6 mos to work after its spread. I'd also Recommend getting a soil test done to know for sure & how much you need if you haven't already. I have heard that it's better to put a ton to the acre 2 different spreadings. Don't know if there's any real logic to that but was recommended to me in the past.