Application of ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

alot use just a headgate at the end of the alley.
they(the cows) really don't like you messing with their head/ears.

We just use a headgate. Rarely if we have a lot of trouble getting an animal in the headgate we will just do it in the chute, but that can be pretty dangerous.

dj":2qe8m27w said:
alot use just a headgate at the end of the alley.
they(the cows) really don't like you messing with their head/ears.

This is how I do it here. For the rare occasion that they just aren't still enough, there's a bar on the headgate that closes down over their face just above the nose.

Where I work, they use both methods (chute or headgate) depending on what the procedures are that are being done. If they are being AI'd, they are run into a breeding box.

Katherine

we have both, but rarely have to use the squeeze for just tags or a shot. If using the priefert we just have the alley right up to the headgate frame, and it works just fine most of the time, but there is always going to be that willey one that gives you heartburn....

Depends on which pasture the cattle are at. I have a squeeze chute and headgate in one place, so I catch them in the headgate for shots and tags there. Other places I have a lane that will hold 4-6 cows and I just run them in that lane and go up the line taking out old tags and putting in new and giving shots. Other places, I dont have a lane, so I take out old tags and put in new ones in the trailer. I dont have a canvas top on the trailer and it has 3 compartments, so I can lean over from the top or go from the side to get their ears or give a shot. Not the easiest to do, but that is how I do it.

groveman14":103u2kf8 said:
How does everyone apply ear tags and shots? Do you use a squeeze chute AND head gate or just the chute? thanks.

We generally use a chute (non-squeeze), and head gate, depending on what else is being done, for vaccinations, and add a halter for tagging/tatooing (usually done at the same time for yearlings or older). If we are just vaccinating, we simply stack them in the alleyway leading to the chute and vaccinate.

We're a small operation and only have one old powder river squeeze chute, head gate attached...handle all our working there. The alley around around the catch pen which doubles as a calving pen and a all around holding pen...works for us.
Dmc

If you are tagging for ID only, do it shortly after birth.Lightly sit on 'em, tag 'em and let 'em go. When their too big to handle, headgate.

groveman14":1wtgyhpg said:
How does everyone apply ear tags and shots? Do you use a squeeze chute AND head gate or just the chute? thanks.

We use the chute and the headgate. Our cows are pretty calm, but they can hurt you or themselves when being worked. Be safe. Use a secure facility to work them.

the headgate on the squeeze is definitely safer for both the critter and the operator....especially if it has side exits if needed.

I'll run some into the chute before the squeeze. I normally use the squeeze but If I get em bunched in the chute tight I will just tag em and shoot em in there. The trick is to get em crowed and be quick. If they can't move much they ain't much trouble. Don't try this if they have room to move around as it will be a trainwreack.

Head gate for some. Others I can cut the old tags off with nippers and put new tags in the same hole right in the chute. It allows me to run two or three through at once.

If I am administering shots, they go in the head gate. No need in taking a chance of injecting myself in lieu of the cow.

We put em in the chute and use the head gate when we can't bunch em up tight in the chute. Here lately we've been using the chute to help band the bull calves if we can't catch em right after birth. We've been filling the chute full backing the calves up to the closed head gate and working through the gate with them standing up has been working pretty well. Other than having to get in there with the little fellers they have stood pretty quiet and havn't hid nothing so we couldn't get to it.

We put em in the chute and use the head gate when we can't bunch em up tight in the chute. Here lately we've been using the chute to help band the bull calves if we can't catch em right after birth. We've been filling the chute full backing the calves up to the closed head gate and working through the gate with them standing up has been working pretty well. Other than having to get in there with the little fellers they have stood pretty quiet and havn't hid nothing so we couldn't get to it.