Application For Mn Citizenship

Help Support CattleToday:

Absolute Truth - My sister and I had to get an Old Mil can scanned and made into stickers to put on the race sleds.... for SEVERAL racers around the area. In color and everything!

Michele

Angie, I forgot about Smelt. Geez :shock: Did you happen to ever participate in the Smelt runs North of Duluth? I think many people from the north lived on smelt in those days. Dad would come back from the trip with the pick up box level full. No kidding. We ate so many Smelt and so did all the neighbors and relatives.

mnmtranching":1yr8fe5o said:
Angie, I forgot about Smelt. Geez :shock: Did you happen to ever participate in the Smelt runs North of Duluth? I think many people from the north lived on smelt in those days. Dad would come back from the trip with the pick up box level full. No kidding. We ate so many Smelt and so did all the neighbors and relatives.

Gosh mnmt that brings back memories! Used to smelt fairly often. Nothing like standing in Lake Superior in waders dipping the net! :D Not so fun to clean with freezing cold hands though. When I was in college, the smelt were running and a bunch of folks were going to head for the shore. I had a wildlife lab that afternoon, went to the professor and he told me "oh go smelting, you'll learn more from that experience than the classroom"! (I brought him back a bunch :nod: )

Big doings around here this weekend. The volunteer fire department is burning down an old house and a local VFW is having a smelt fry that night. Yipee!. But I do wonder where they get the smelt from now that the run on Superior is so slow?

Dang, you yanks will fall for anything. "Why don't you go smelting?", heck you may as well go watch the submarine races. Everyone knows smelting is the process of extracting metal from the raw ore. :lol2:

No, I have never been smelting, but I am sure to go to the legion smelt fry every year. Is one of my favorites ~ smelt. I don't make it at home so much, maybe a few times a year, maybe twice.

Lutefisk only once a year. Too much of a good thing is not always a good thing ~yes?

MistyMorning":28m8ln7z said:
Big doings around here this weekend. The volunteer fire department is burning down an old house and a local VFW is having a smelt fry that night. Yipee!. But I do wonder where they get the smelt from now that the run on Superior is so slow?

A good house burning would attract quite a crowd around here. Y'all sure know how to have fun.

flaboy":xz4q2p4q said:
Dang, you yanks will fall for anything. "Why don't you go smelting?", heck you may as well go watch the submarine races. Everyone knows smelting is the process of extracting metal from the raw ore. :lol2:

Man that "smelt" bad... :lol2: :lol2:

Angus/Brangus":w60oj2ox said:
From the following statement: "Abstract. Heavy metals (Hg, Fe, Mn, Zn, Cu, Cd, Pb, Ni) and organochlorine compounds (HCHs, HCB, DDTs, PCBs) were analysed from muscle tissue and livers of ]smelt (Osmerus eperlanus L.), pike (Esox lucius L.),.....:

It appears they may be smelting the Smelt :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yep..smelt that smelt melting coming...

MistyMorning":238vrvgn said:
mnmtranching":238vrvgn said:

Gosh mnmt that brings back memories! Used to smelt fairly often. Nothing like standing in Lake Superior in waders dipping the net! :D Not so fun to clean with freezing cold hands though. When I was in college, the smelt were running and a bunch of folks were going to head for the shore. I had a wildlife lab that afternoon, went to the professor and he told me "oh go smelting, you'll learn more from that experience than the classroom"! (I brought him back a bunch :nod: )

Ohhhhhh! Life can be good in the North Country. 8) :D We must be a bit to far West, the small numbers of Smelt nowadays gets taken before it gets this far. :cry2: I will trade 5 pounds of Ludifisk for 2 pounds of Smelt . OBO

When I lived up in Northwest Ohio I was able to get in on a bunch of those Smelt fries.Now i'm here to tell ya there aint nothing better. I also miss the horse radish grinding times. A bunch would get together at the local club and bring their horseradish they gathered and we would all grind it up and can it. Every body was crying in their beer. I'm telling you you could drank a lot of brew and still remain sober while grinding horseradish.

Cal

Latest posts