Anything for bleeding like a stuck pig?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdoramus

Reaction score
We dehorned some of our calves 1 1/2 weeks ago. Today one must have rubbed off the scab on one side. Any suggestions to stop the bleeding? Probably a dumb question but it's just dripping off the head and looks like it's been going on at least half of the day. Any home remedies?

pdoramus":2nkd3a1u said:
Thanks for the info. I found the styptic powder.

In the future, if you are stuck - try old fashioned flour.

It does a decent job in a pinch.

Bez'

If you can find where the bleeding is coming from, getting a pair of hemostats and pulling out the little artery will usually cause it to clamp off. The "blood stopper" powder usually works pretty good, especially if you can hold pressure on it for a few minutes after applying it. Remember, all bleeding stops eventually. ;-)

docgraybull":18adzw0i said:
If you can find where the bleeding is coming from, getting a pair of hemostats and pulling out the little artery will usually cause it to clamp off. The "blood stopper" powder usually works pretty good, especially if you can hold pressure on it for a few minutes after applying it. Remember, all bleeding stops eventually. ;-)

Didn't think the vet might have not got all the vein. I had two cows years ago that grew nubs back. POed me to no end.

Scotty

Pdoramus, I dont know if you have had frost yet or not. Where I am it is still 4-6 weeks too early to dehorn without danger of flies and screw worms. If it hasnt frosted, I would keep a close watch on those dehorn wounds and keep the screw worm spray or gasoline handy.

pdoramus":7z0at98m said:
We dehorned some of our calves 1 1/2 weeks ago. Today one must have rubbed off the scab on one side. Any suggestions to stop the bleeding? Probably a dumb question but it's just dripping off the head and looks like it's been going on at least half of the day. Any home remedies?

Try flour first..if that don,t work.Try the following.

If you enough of a horn base left on each side you can try putting pressure on the vein on the back of the head with a twine that runs around the horn base and a small stick to tighten up the twine.
Leave it on a couple days,then take it off.

A small amount of pine tar works great too...seems to do alot of things.... it stops the bleeding fast, it keeps the flies at bay, and seems to keep the horn from regrowing at all. perhaps the turpintine action, who knows? But we do use it on occassion. :cboy:

i use a hot iron.. it stops the blood and i have had good luck in it killing the horn so that it doesnt grow back.

jt

If there is enough stub left to hook it around, tie a piece of baling twine around both nubs as close to the skull as possible. Put a loop in one end, pull the other through it and pull as tight as you can. It will cut the blood supply off. Use bio-degrable twine and it will rot off. I have done to many adult cattle with great success. I usually put this on before I cut the horns though. I try not buy cattle with horns anymore unless they are really good and cheap. Just my preference.

Latest posts