Anyone used Sendero yet?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Yeah I know it's expensive and that less expensive Remedy/Reclaim works for mesquite for basal and foillar apps , but I'm wanting to try it with frill cut and squirt or injection on other trees. Anyone used it by this method on anything?
(I asked Dow about it via email and the reply simply said "Sendero is not labeled for Chinese Tallow at this time")

greybeard":2b176y3m said:
Yeah I know it's expensive and that less expensive Remedy/Reclaim works for mesquite for basal and foillar apps , but I'm wanting to try it with frill cut and squirt or injection on other trees. Anyone used it by this method on anything?
(I asked Dow about it via email and the reply simply said "Sendero is not labeled for Chinese Tallow at this time")

i never have used it cause i was told you have to use a lot more and it was foliar only not basal
i guess that what i get for not doing my own reseach. i know the remedy/relcalaim works well for foliar but i zero results on big mesquite as a basal.
if it is both foliar and basal i'm going to try it.

Two important points, Hart said, are that it is approved only for a broadcast application rate at this time, and it will not be used as a basal bark or stem application as the product will not mix with diesel or basal bark oils

Basal (to me) just means spraying it on the lower trunk without making any incisions or frills. I want to slash into the cambium where the sap runs and apply Sendero there. I figure anything that killed a mesquite would kill a tallow much faster---but, I could be mistaken again.
I have had very little luck with basal application except on young smooth bark woody plants. Have had good luck with the frill or cut and squirt even on the biggest tallows, but I'd like to try Sendero to see if it works faster on tallow than Remedy does. (I ain't gettin no younger and would like to kill off at least all the big Tallow trees before I depart this world. On big tallows, I don't mix it with anything--cut deep and spray full strength--but I only have about 75 acres to work on.
(thankfully, I have no Mesquite and not much locust)

Haven't used Sendero, but years ago I also had a lot of large tallow trees and yes, Remedy/diesel is not nearly as effective on old, large rough bark trees. Now that the weather isn't so intolerably hot and humid out in the woods, I'd recommend that you just go ahead and cut down the larger tallow trees with a chain saw and immediately apply Remedy/diesel to 100% of the cut surface. Thats what I did and I got very good rate of kill results. I just whipped up a batch of Remedy/diesel in a 5 gallon bucket and used an old, wide paint brush affixed to a stick to "paint" the cut suface. While you're at it you can cut up the trees/limbs into manageable size chunks and pile them up on top of and around the stumps for burning --- will have to do that at some time anyway even if use the slower kill method that you're thinging of. Good luck. AZ

I did about 40 of them like that last year Arnold. It worked in a large % of the trees, but not in all. Some stumps sprouted a dozen suckers up from the cut stump and those are more difficult to treat than anything else.
The big ones I have left are all on either fencelines or next to waterways, which means losing the fences temporarily. I prefer those just die naturally in place. Last fall, I hacked and squirted a lot of them. Leaves turned black the next day. Bark cracked and fell off within a week and all the leaves were gone and I had no shoots coming up that following spring. For reasons I don't understand, fall frill or cut and squirt results in the herbicide going straight to the root system. Maybe the vascular system only works in one direction in the fall--downward. Foliar application in fall tho, is useless for the most part if the leaves have already began to change color. According to what I've read, in mid to late fall, clorophyll production stops and the tree creates a little sappy "plug" at each leaf stem, preventing moisture, starches, and nutrients from entering the leaves--and preventing anything in the leaves from going back into the twigs, limbs and trunks.
To me, autumn seems to be a better time to get a good kill of the root system using cut and spray or injection as long as it isn't too late. If ya wait to late, It might kill that trunk, but a dozen new ones will sprout up from the roots of the same tree.

Latest posts