Anyone use a Vink puller?

Help Support CattleToday:

Change the cow herd genetics, or change the bull, or change the feed regimen.

Uh I have owned cattle for 28 years and I am not aware of anyone with more than one cow that has 100% avoided pulling a calf for one reason or another. Being prepared does not equal being irresponsible or stupid. I need a new one and am looking for reviews.

Stone makes a good one.

Better to have it and never need it, than to need it and not have it.

Vink makes some good products. I have one of their hip lifts, same as above can be said about it as well.

Chance favors the prepared mind!

Trey

TNMasterBeefProducer":1iflbapm said:
ILfarmersdaughter":1iflbapm said:
Uh I have owned cattle for 28 years and I am not aware of anyone with more than one cow that has 100% avoided pulling a calf for one reason or another. Being prepared does not equal being irresponsible or stupid. I need a new one and am looking for reviews.

That above statement is incorrect. Especially in my case. Now you are aware of someone that has not pulled a calf in 36 years.

Pulled the first calf in 30 plus years year before last. Bought a bred heifer that tried to have a 110 pound calf. Needed the calf jack on that one. Even bad presentations can be pulled with out a jack.

dun":1upe42k9 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":1upe42k9 said:
ILfarmersdaughter":1upe42k9 said:

That above statement is incorrect. Especially in my case. Now you are aware of someone that has not pulled a calf in 36 years.

Pulled the first calf in 30 plus years year before last. Bought a bred heifer that tried to have a 110 pound calf. Needed the calf jack on that one. Even bad presentations can be pulled with out a jack.

You Guys amuse me. Many calves CAN be pulled without a puller, by most men. There aren't many women out there that are as strong as a guy. I've pulled a lot of calves with a puller, simply because I am not strong enough to do it by myself without. My hubby hardly EVER uses a puller, he has that extra strength. And before anyone tries to speculate, we are both pretty much the same height, but he does have about 30 - 40 lbs on me. A malpresentation certainly doesn't mean you need to use a puller, or even that you need to pull the calf. Unless the calf is backwards. Don't know of too many of those that can be pulled by one person. If we are both home, we rarely use the puller, but by myself, I am very glad I have it.

As to the Vinks puller, I have never seen or heard about it before. Would be interested in seeing a picture of it. The one we have is a Dr. Franks, I like it, but you have to be pretty careful when using it. It can put a lot of strain on a cow and calf.

TNMasterBeefProducer":77yokag6 said:
I don't use a calf puller because I have never needed one. My cattle have never had any calving problems. I just go out there and find new calves. I think you need a different bull, perhaps new cows and a new bull, or like dun said change your feeding regimen. Although I did read an article, I think it might have been in "The Cattleman" magazine that said feeding of cattle during late pregnancy had no direct correlation to dystocia. By the way I have over 1 cow. In fact I have 46 head total and two bulls. Still have never had to pull a calf since I got out of raising herefords and beefmasters back in the 70's. Never so much as a malpresentation since the 70's.

How do you know if you've had a mal-presentation?
That is if you
"Just go out there and find new calves".

You are either very lucky, have great genetics, or all your cows have a twat the size of a no. 2 washtub.
BTW, I have more than one cow too, actually right now I have more than you.
It never hurts being prepared. Kinda like having jumper cables.
When I grow up, I want to be just like you! :dunce:

Here is a link:

http://www.gilgray.com.au/vink.php

So I guess I need to rush to the sale barn with my inferior cows and buy some of these magic cows that will never, ever have calving problems. Either that or I need the link to buy the powers to see into the future and know cows/heifer will not ever need help.

As far as just needing a man instead of a puller, I was not aware the male anatomy part of the equipment necessary to pull a calf. My Dad thought the big ole combine required male anatomy to make it run. Turns out the combine didn't care.

I hope everyone has a successful calving season and may your pullers all gather dust.

ILfarmersdaughter":18xvb092 said:
Here is a link:

http://www.gilgray.com.au/vink.php

So I guess I need to rush to the sale barn with my inferior cows and buy some of these magic cows that will never, ever have calving problems. Either that or I need the link to buy the powers to see into the future and know cows/heifer will not ever need help.

As far as just needing a man instead of a puller, I was not aware the male anatomy part of the equipment necessary to pull a calf. My Dad thought the big ole combine required male anatomy to make it run. Turns out the combine didn't care.

I hope everyone has a successful calving season and may your pullers all gather dust.

I hope you didn't think I meant you needed a man (or needed to be a man) :shock: . I was just stating that we women do not have the strength of a man, and therefore sometimes we need a puller to even things out a bit. And, if you are strong enough to pull calves without a puller, then I think you wouldn't have asked the question.

As far as that puller, it looks interesting to me. If we were looking for one, I think I would give that one a good look.

That is why I buy automatic 4 wheelers. They pull easy and want hurt the cow, not as rough as a tractor or truck. Why buy all that junk to be in the way? For lifts use old truck ice chains works great to lift

For all those who have never pulled a calf -- I hope you never have one like we did yesterday.

Well grown, former show heifer, BCS 5.6-6, 1st stage of calving in the morning. At 2 pm after no sign of calf coming I checked what was going on. First thing I identified was the tail, so I called the vet. It took the vet over an hour to get the back legs up and pointed out. He asked Will to get our puller, he said he didn't think the two of them could pull it by hand. I doubt very many could have pulled this one by hand.
Calf was 75 lbs, shaped like a long, slender wedge, with hips that would have made a club calf man proud. But because she came tail first, the heifer wasn't dilated adequately. The calf didn't make it but the cow is fine. Without a puller the calf still wouldn't have made it, the cow was pretty tired and I doubt she could have pushed it out on her own, and there's no reason to overtax human strength when a $150 puller will get the job done.
I also give the puller credit for saving a few calves coming back feet first since it helps get it out faster once it hits that critical spot.
I have no experience with the Vink puller, I'd make sure the handle was long enough, the come-along part easily released, and see if it would not slip.

Latest posts