Anyone have a better idea?

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz

Reaction score
Was informed last week I'll be losing some pasture from a neighbor. They say short term, but I have to figure long term. Will cut back on herd by Oct. So I'm going to do an overall culling.
Bull and 5/6 month steer calves going in Aug.
I have cows exposed to Bull since 05/15. Of these, the ones with heifers I intend to sell with their calves 1st of Sept.
My fall calvers should start dropping calves in Sept. I figure I could sell them open around 1st of Dec. slaughter and let the calves go at that time also. They should be coming 3 months.
Still trying to figure a better game plan but I may have to approach it like a drought and make quicker moves. I just don't care to send heavy bred cows to slaughter.

fitz

If you were a close neighbor, we could make a deal. I have 20 to 30 acres of grass that I mow but never gets utilized. I would make a deal with my current neighbor but I don't want cows the way he manages them on my land. He does nothing in the way of health practices.

Thanks guys. Not much land around for lease. Everyone and their brother buying cattle and looking for lease land.
Tough times have been here before. Mainly weather related, but I've sent them out of here for a whole lot less over the years. May be a reason I'll have to sort through them.
Figure to regroup, set up to get by another year and see where things are then. Try not to stress over what I can't control. I'm no different than anyone else here. You deal with each day as it comes. Need to be grateful that I can get up each day and have such minute problems.

fitz

Latest posts