anyone else have a

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
really mild winter so far. We're still in the 70's during the day. My hay consumption is way below what I thought.

Don't know if anyone else is as fortunate. My kids always hope for snow in the winter, I hope for 70 degree weather!

I'm sure that it'll turn frigid now that I've posted this.....

Been nice here to for the most part. We haven't had much rain 6/10 for the year so far. And one morning it was 18 and killed most of the oats.
Last year during the winter it never got less than 22, but it sure stayed cold longer.

Been colder here but not nearly as bad as lots of winters. Goes from cows inhaling hay to days when they hardly touch it. Hope the ryegrass does its thing before long.

Been fantastic so far. I ain't worn a coat but one day. Seems like we went from one of the worst winters then summer we ever had to one of the best winters I can ever remember. I sure hope next summer is one of the best.

Nobody up here can remember a winter this open (very little snow) this late into the winter. My only complaint is the constant freeze-thaw means a lot more mud than normal, but it's keeping the hay consumption down, and I've only had to move snow once this year. This time last year I'd blown snow 2 dozen times. Sure helps the diesel bill.

We've had some cold days..but *knock on wood* my hay consumption seems to be below what I expected too..After last winter with our cold days and ice/snow events..I was gauging off of that..

I'd rather have more then I need then not enough.

I've also taken to rationing my horse's hay..instead of free feeding them rounds, I peel off hay and throw it to them..alot more work, but it's drasticly cut down their hay consumption..and they all still look good (three of them need this program, they get fat on air)

the weather sure has helped keep the rye grass green an growing so the cows can get some grass.with this drought we are limit feeding hay.when the weather is good the cows get no hay an graze.when its bad they get 3 bales a wk plus feed if needed.planning on giving them 3 bales today.

We've had a few morning with temps in the upper 20's but warms up nicely during the day. Suppose to be in the 70's today. Water standing in most all the low spots around the area from last rains. Soil should be wet pretty deep by now but I haven't dug any post holes to check it. :lol2:

Most of our nights have been around normal but 65-75 during the day is far from normal. No precip that could be measured since early last month.

WE too have had a mild winter so far.. the weather mean blaming it on LaNina.. or whatever it is. All I know is the lack of rainfall or moisture has me concerned. Hoping for some of those heavy spring rains.

TexasBred":2d05s7cm said:
We've had a few morning with temps in the upper 20's but warms up nicely during the day. Suppose to be in the 70's today. Water standing in most all the low spots around the area from last rains. Soil should be wet pretty deep by now but I haven't dug any post holes to check it. :lol2:

Atta boy TB... :D ...I put the pasture renovator on the tractor today...first time in about 4 years. Some spots worked good but a lot was still hard and dry....hope the little scratching I did will do some good when/if it decides to rain.

Limomike":3lkrux32 said:
WE too have had a mild winter so far.. the weather men blaming it on LaNina..

You could call it supercalafragilisticexpealadocious; I like it. Who cares what Al Gore thinks anyway.

We've been lucky so far considering everybody around here was short on hay hopefully we won't have another blizzard this february.It is getting dry again so it would be nice to get some rain soon.

It's been really mild here, and we've had some heavy rains and a couple storms the past few weeks. Really glad it was rain and not snow. It's been mostly in the 40s and 50s the past week or so. We had a couple of cold weeks when the highs were in the 20s and 30s, but other than that it's been nice so far. I hope it stays that way. I could hear some frogs out singing this evening. I never thought I would hear them in January.

Saw several easter lillys today that were already about 4" tall. 51 outside at 11:30 and suppose to get warmer during the night and start raining by morning.