Anybody use VRT?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Seems like a way to save a few dollars in fertilizer costs:

Variable Rate Technology (VRT) is a new tool in the toolbox to help producers put fertilizer and lime where it belongs.
How does VRT work?

1. Soil samples must be taken of a field using a GPS receiver to mark the points of the sample. Samples are taken in 2.5 or 5 acre grid samples.

2. Soil samples are sent to the lab. Once the results come back, the soil samples are reviewed. If there is a lot of variance in the field, the field is eligible to spread using our Variable Rate Spreader.

3. Once the go ahead has been given to spread variable rate, spreading maps are made. Spreading maps are a colorful picture of what the field looks like. It combines the information from the soil test results and the points of where the soil samples were taken to create a map of how to spread the field.

4. Once the maps have been made, an agronomist checks the information to make sure it is correct and the material is loaded in to the computer on the spreading machine.

5. The spreader truck has a GPS receiver on it, and as the truck drives through the field the information on the card is being read and telling the truck how much fertilizer or lime to put out in an area.

Currently, phosphorus, potassium, and lime are being spread using the variable rate technology.

There was a discussion at the NRCS office last week about it. The gent that was pitching claimed it would save money in the long run by not using fertilzer/lime in incorrect amounts. I wonder how "long of a run" it would take to pay for. I would think that it would be more a crop type of deal or the very expansive hay fileds.

dun":2dxn7686 said:
There was a discussion at the NRCS office last week about it. The gent that was pitching claimed it would save money in the long run by not using fertilzer/lime in incorrect amounts. I wonder how "long of a run" it would take to pay for. I would think that it would be more a crop type of deal or the very expansive hay fileds.

I think it is used on mostly crops now too.

Was talking to a crew of Wheat Combiners on their northward march a few years ago that was using GPS and "Crop Yield Monitors".

The data on yields was collected by the combines and passed on to the farmer on a disk. The fertilizer applicator would then use that disk to apply fertilizer accordingly the next year. Then the data from that next year would be analyzed against subsequent years for adjustments if needed.

As the cost of fertilizer goes up, the possible savings may increase.

VRT does work. Right now where it shines is with lime. We do some with fert but it seems to me that the variables in soil testing are making it hard to see the worth, but they're working on it.