Anybody have experince with a roarer? (horse)

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
I 'm looking for an aged gelding or mare for my young daughter to poke around our place on. I visited with a lady today that has a 21 year old gelding for sale. Her husband bought him 4 years ago to learn to rope on. She says that the horse is solid and very gentle for children. She also disclosed that the horse is a roarer. Says it shows up only when her husband works the horse strenuously - like heading 3 or 4 steers in a row without a rest. At our place, the horse would be used to trailride and that's about it. I've done some research on roaring today, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? Would you consider the horse or is this a reason to pass?

no personal experience but with the horse market down you should be able to find a very sound horse at a reasonable price and not have to worry about the condition worsening. Around here $500 bucks will get you a heck of a horse. Just an opinion

Yes I have had a calf horse years ago that did that.Its the flap that shuts off to keep food or what ever from getting in the lungs.For some reason it comes loose.It only shows up in stress when the horse is breathing hard and working.The thing here is its for your kid if its a first horse and is a safe one it doesnt matter.And at the age of the horse and what you want him for I wouldnt worry about it.There is a surgery procedure where they go in and re attach the flap and put it back.But at his age I wouldnt worry about it.
Safty is more important than soundness right now.That horse can last a long time with care and she can learn to ride and have fun.I sold mine at 17 to a kid to learn to rope on and the horse died there at 33 they roped on him untill a couple of years before he died.He was a head banger hard on cattle all his life.
Quality right now is more important than quanity.

My friend's halter horse was a roarer and a friend of ours heading horse is a roarer..

The halter horse got the surgery..$3000..His symptoms only showed up on the golf cart...friend's heading horse did not and you can only tell it when the horse gets worked up and excited and has made numerous runs.

Id say if your daughter is just poking around, and hes safe, it wont be a big deal.

Thanks for the replys. KS, I need to come to Kansas to find me a horse. :) Down here a good babysitter is very hard to come by and worth their weight in gold. Most families pass them through several generations and won't consider selling them.

I think we're going to look at the horse. The price is reasonable. We'll see how he works. They have offered a week to try him out and to get a vet check.

Thanks again!

My kids first horse was 28 when we got her.She was a calf,barrel,pole horse dead solid and gentllllllle.The one he runs now is his mothers old rodeo horse he is 24 and still winning money.
The av age of the timed event horses at the NFR is 18 and a lot of them are in their 20's.
Topper I believe was 24 when he got killed.Stan Smith and Roy Cooper owned him He sold for $50,000 when he was 22.Justin Mass's first trip to the finals was on a horse that was 28 the first time he took him.
Dont over look quality on account of age.

clampitt":n1owek1i said:
My kids first horse was 28 when we got her.She was a calf,barrel,pole horse dead solid and gentllllllle.The one he runs now is his mothers old rodeo horse he is 24 and still winning money.
The av age of the timed event horses at the NFR is 18 and a lot of them are in their 20's.
Topper I believe was 24 when he got killed.Stan Smith and Roy Cooper owned him He sold for $50,000 when he was 22.Justin Mass's first trip to the finals was on a horse that was 28 the first time he took him.

I have had horses that lived over 30 years and some to around 30 years. I usually retire them at around 18-20 with an occasional use after that depending on health. I would never subject an older horse to games or performance events but that is just me. I figure if they give me 20 good years they deserve a rest. There are exceptions to most rules but mine is retire them at 20.

flaboy":qprqn794 said:
clampitt":qprqn794 said:

I have had horses that lived over 30 years and some to around 30 years. I usually retire them at around 18-20 with an occasional use after that depending on health. I would never subject an older horse to games or performance events but that is just me. I figure if they give me 20 good years they deserve a rest. There are exceptions to most rules but mine is retire them at 20.
But isnt the OP just looking for something for their daughter to poke around on? 21 is a great age for that.

spinandslide":3rihzam6 said:
But isnt the OP just looking for something for their daughter to poke around on? 21 is a great age for that.

Well, if vet bills and meds don't bother you, go ahead.

Those horses last cause they are maintained well.And true they do sometimes need extra care.Those good ones are hard to come by and if taken care of they will take care of you.They will last longer and be in better shape if you ride them.And believe me you dont abuse them by hauling them.
You can get hurt on a good horse that is true.Our sons first horse was 28 when we got her he was a little guy then and she had some artharitis true and didnt go fast which was alright.He had fun and learned alot on her.She died at 34 she is as is another buried here.
You can get hurt on a good one that is true but when it comes to the saftey of a kid.You dont worry about the cost so much as.Hospitals and funerals cost a lot more.

flaboy":1qyiink4 said:
spinandslide":1qyiink4 said:

Well, if vet bills and meds don't bother you, go ahead.

There is so much an older horse can teach a young rider..My son's mare is 16 and she will go til shes 30 at least. Id rather put abit of extra effort into a horse if its going to teach my child and be safe for them to ride and learn and have a good time.

There's a couple horses in our area that are still going good in their mid to late 30's. Of course, these horses were never really a whole lot more than 4H and local show horses. So I deffinately worry about the horse being 'to old.'

Just to update, we went to see the horse and decided to pass. I felt he was too big for the girls and I really didn't care for his attitude. I don't think he would have been a good horse for the kids. So, we're still looking...