Anybody ever?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hondac

Reaction score
tried to use a GPS (handheld) devise to aid in locating property line markers.
I have some property on which I know the location of some property markers, but others are in
mountains which I do not know the exact location. I can determine approximate coordinates of points
I am looking for from aerial photos from tax maps and also google earth. Thinking about trying to use a GPS devise to help. Does this make any sense?

I have never used one for that but I don't see why it wouldn't be helpful. The geocaching people have a ball with them looking for their hidden treasures so the accuracy is there. I would think that you would have to have some landmarks in the property description to get you into the general vicinity. A metal detector might help too.

Make sure your GPS is waas capable, selective availability set to on, and use the most current datum set, which I believe is wgs84. Set you coords to the same mm.mmm.sss format as the coords you're given on the surveys. That will get you within 3 feet in some cases. 6-12 in most cases.

I've done it. The GPS will get you close enough to find a corner marker if there's one there. Like James T said, you may need a metal detector also because a lot of surveyors pound metal rods very low to the ground at corners purposely so the rod will get lost under a pile of leaves and straw and limbs and dirt and you'll have to hire them to come back and find it.

ga.prime":1wxa974q said:
Like James T said, you may need a metal detector also because a lot of surveyors pound metal rods very low to the ground at corners purposely so the rod will get lost under a pile of leaves and straw and limbs and dirt and you'll have to hire them to come back and find it.

No, they bury them. Ought to be a law that they have to place a proper corner for what they get paid. Of course just because they say they set a corner it doesn't mean they actually did either. They can work magic in the office where its nice and cool and leave the finding of corners and line placement to poor souls who were too dumb to go into pharmacy or something worth knowing.

Here's a pic of my favorite corner. I think there is a story here somewhere.

shotgun.jpg

Well, I ordered myself a Garmin Oregon 450t GPS for Christmas. I'll be trying to locate some property
markers with it soon. (May have to wait till deer season is over so I don't get shot).

Jogeephus":2of2moui said:
:shock: Is that a tobacco stick? I used tobacco sticks to stake up tomatoes one year and they were full of termites and rotted off at the ground before tomato season was over.

ga.prime":1qbwq0a2 said:
Jogeephus":1qbwq0a2 said:
:shock: Is that a tobacco stick? I used tobacco sticks to stake up tomatoes one year and they were full of termites and rotted off at the ground before tomato season was over.

Worse than that. Its a piece of untreated spruce pine that will be rotted in no time flat. Apparantly surveyors aren't paid enough to use something that won't rot.

Hondac":2t4wrc9x said:
Well, I ordered myself a Garmin Oregon 450t GPS for Christmas. I'll be trying to locate some property
markers with it soon. (May have to wait till deer season is over so I don't get shot).

Just be sure the coordinates on the paper match the coordinate system you select for the hand unit else you may find yourself in another county. Just remember to always compare apples to apples.

And make sure your survey distances is stated in feet and not varas like one I was trying to use a few years ago. A vara=33 1/3 inches.

Latest posts