has anyone ever tried a ....

Help Support CattleToday:

farm princess

Reaction score
sensor-phone?? I think that is what they are called. They hook up to your barn and if something goes wrong (like electric shuts off, heat goes out etc.) it calls your phone and lets you know. If so, do you think that they are worth the price and which ones have you tried and liked?

thanks

;-)

We use battery back up in the industrial world. Uniteruptible Power Supply (UPS) is what they are known as. They make turn key units for lighting and just about everthing you can think of. Instrument power back-up etc. It is pretty easy to rig a power signal off of one to alarm, or do anything else you would like to do in the event of power loss. Get one with extra sets of contacts.

farm princess":f6ovqfnc said:
sensor-phone?? I think that is what they are called. They hook up to your barn and if something goes wrong (like electric shuts off, heat goes out etc.) it calls your phone and lets you know. If so, do you think that they are worth the price and which ones have you tried and liked?

thanks

;-)

Nope, never had the need. The barns/sheds are not heated, and if the electricity goes out in them - it is also out in my house, so I'm already aware of it.

They are required in chicken houses around here.
They are very sensitive to weather and bugs- Its hard for us to keep one going. The alarm(siren) is much more useful as long as you have someone around.

If you look around there are all sorts of electronic sensor devices that either ring you via mobile network and send a preset tone or send an email to you saying "Guess what buddy its 3 am and the light has gone out unexpectedly, can you come down right away ,I'm freezing my screws off here!

No doubt we will find them indispensible in a few years time.

Friend of mine had a greenhouses and forced plants in them for wholesale. He had one and I remember them saving his crop on more than one occassion. Can't tell you the brand but he did say he couldn't have got along without it.

My family also ownes a florist. We have one so we know if the heat goes off in the green house or if the power is off. It's very handy and keeps you from worrying. especialy on cold nights. Its worth it. It has saved whole crops many times!

my buddy an his dad have something like that on their chicken houses.that tells them if the computer operated system is down or if something is off.an itll call their home or cell phs.so they can get right on the problem.

I have an older type but very effective . When it is triggered it emits a burst of frequency at about 18Kilocycles +- 10Kc

It is sensitive to any sound , smell or taste change and uses a form of protein for reserve energy . If I am not there "Bluey" as I call him , dials me on his mobile and says " Hey Boss , pant,pant pant, weve got a problem here boss , can I sick em hey boss Hey boss Hey boss, please boss." I usually say " skitch em Blue"