Anybody using a California Bander?

Help Support CattleToday:

Been using one for about 8 years and highly recommend it.
Have learned that using a small pair of vice grips clamped on the outer end of the band tubing makes the band easier to grip and pull tight. Also, I use a scalpel to make 2 incisions thru the scrotum and into each nut after the band is applied. This allows everything to dry out and fall off in half the normal time.
Just another 2 cents worth.

Claim better gain with no implants required.
May need to keep the bands warm in cold weather to have enough stretch.
Works better on older bulls but costs more than a knife. Some run the big boys back through after a week and cut off the sack. I like the sound and smell of PaPws incisions better. An issue is the sack hang time can be 4 to 6 weeks...

Texas PaPaw said:
Have learned that using a small pair of vice grips clamped on the outer end of the band tubing makes the band easier to grip and pull tight. quote]

Doesn't your ratchet pull the band tight enough?

Stocker Steve":vnl9d83j said:
Texas PaPaw":vnl9d83j said:
Have learned that using a small pair of vice grips clamped on the outer end of the band tubing makes the band easier to grip and pull tight. quote]

Doesn't your ratchet pull the band tight enough?

The California bander doesn't have a ratchet like the Callicrate bander does.

The incisions cut the hang time in half. Usually 2 weeks or less and they're gone.

Been using one for about 6 yrs now. Easy to use, some of the problems are 1. tough to get around a big balls the skin gets in the way of inserting the rubber into the clasp. 2. Sometimes the clasp falls out of the holder. Never have used any others, and probably wouldn't change. I recommend it!

I used one for about five years. Much better than the calicrate that it replaced. If you think that you must band it is probably the best one out there. I personally prefer a sharp knife. Have fewer complications and better gains. Also cheaper to use.
Keep your bands out of the sun, they will degrade. Keep them warm if it is below about 40 degrees. Band should be placed in the narrowest part of the cord, typically about halfway between testicles and belly, it will make it easier to insert the tubing into the clamp and also will do a better job of shutting off blood flow. I used a single slash across the bottom of both testicles instead of the dual cuts Texas PawPaw suggests, either will suffice. When the holder starts wearing out, the clip will occasionally slip out while your stretching the tubing. It will slap the snot out of you and probably leave a nice little gash on your right hand. When this happens, buy another. It is not worth the headache of trying to get by. I've worn out two.

Latest posts