anybody else having to feed hay this summer

Help Support CattleToday:

We got a little rain, was feeding Hay had to open pasture that I was saving that had a little grass on it a little rain today should help some. GOOD LUCK

Not feeding hay yet, but the latter part of May, I could see how dry it was getting with no rain in sight, so I moved all of my older cows to the coast. Kept the heifers and show stock up here. Hoping and praying for rain soon here. Pastures are drying up. Cracks in the ground 2 inches wide already.

This is one of the few years I'm actually glad to have this lovely "blackland" soil. I know a lot of Texas is dry, primarily east. I talked with a breeder that I bought a heifer from and he said he's never seen it this dry, and he's in his 60's. On the other hand, we've been lucky and got some good rainfall in May, so the bermuda grass is coming on great. We've baled the first cutting of hay, and fixin' to cut the second round next week.

I quit feeding around April 20th- luckily had a lot of old grass left in the pastures....We're doing pretty good up north here this year- Even some of the real dry areas have been getting rain....We've received 7" since Jan.1, which is 2" above normal- since this shortgrass prairie country is semi-arid...Average rainfall is around 11 inchs a year. Had a late start on the grass and hay because of the cool spring and late frosts, but its warming up now- was 90 yesterday- had severe lightning storm and got 1.5 inchs more rain last night- supposed to be 80 today.......

dj, bwranch, dun, sorry you guys are missing all the rain. i got 3-4 tenths each day over about 5 days, so i got about 2 inches total. there were places got 3-6 inches in one rain around bolivar, i am told. we had lots of storms, just not much moisture. what we got sure helped, but as dry as we were, it has all been soaked up already----hope all of you get the rain you need

Latest posts