Any woodworkers out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I am working on a couple projects to finish up some trim work. I need to be able to trim some strips of wood down. Basically one spot I need some strips cut down to a 1/2 x 1/2. And another spot I need some 1/2 x2 strips.

What would the cheapest tool I can accomplish this with? Do I need a planer? Table saw?

Been watching for something used but not having any luck.

A friend with a table saw is the cheapest tool.
kinda depends on what you're starting with for stock, what kind of wood, and how fine a finish.
You might be able to do it with a router and a straight bit. Maybe a 4 in circular saw and clamps/straight edges. both would require a higher than beginner skill and experience level.
A surface planer is a great tool to have and, again, depending on your beginning stock size, may be a viable option, but I wouldn't recommend buying used unless you're very familiar with them.
If you want a workout, and have a good vise and workbench, you could achieve it with a jointer (hand) plane #5 to #8, depending on your wood length :D

I'd think a table saw with as many teeth on the blade that will fit your saw. Something like a 40 tooth ATB blade should give you a pretty clean cut which will require minimal sanding.

You didn't say what kind of wood....hardwood or pine/spruce/fir etc or how long the strips need be..
I cut pine strips of that width often on my old table saw and a thin kerf general purpose (deep gullet) 24T blade. It's going to be a rip cut anyway so I wouldn't see any need using a 40T blade which is usually used for crosscuts.

I have a radial arm saw, and guess what you are describing could be cut on one if the drive motor is rotated around parallel to the fence but I rarely do that with mine.

There's so many things you can do with a table saw, and they've gotten very reasonable in cost nowadays I can't imagine not having one. DO, if you buy one, try to get as good a one as you can afford. There's some really cheap junk out there right now.
(mine is a very old craftsman)

You can do it with a skill saw as CF said, but the setup time will be more, and effort in clamping a fence down and making sure your fence doesn't bow out as you cut will have to be just right.

Seems like a table saw may be the way to go. One neighbor had one but sold it years ago. So no one I know around me has one. Trying to think of a way to do this without spending a fortune. Most of the cuts will be in pine but there are a few oak pieces.

you can get a table saw for like 80 bucks... new..

Its fairly simple (and cheap) to make a table saw with a circular saw.
MDF table and circular saw gets attached to the bottom side. Search youtube for homemade table saw.
The fence is more important than the saw. You can pick up a 24" straight edge clamp at HF for under $20
'and clamp it to the table for a fence. Not perfect, but works in a pinch.
Get the finest tooth blade you can, like one that says to cutting plywood. Cut the oak 1st, it needs the sharpest teeth possible without burning. The pine will leave pitch on the blade that hinders a good cut.

tom4018":2nyspy2q said:
Seems like a table saw may be the way to go. One neighbor had one but sold it years ago. So no one I know around me has one. Trying to think of a way to do this without spending a fortune. Most of the cuts will be in pine but there are a few oak pieces.
As Carpenter2n said...
I've never done it, but have heard of people mounting a skill saw upside down and using it as a tablesaw..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhORUN6oCUc

Unless it just has to be made to match... you should be able to buy mull strip for the 1/2x1/2 and lattice strip for the 1/2x2. Local builders supply here stocks both. But there may be some reason that you want to make it I'm not aware of. Table saw would be my choice but be careful. 1/2x1/2 is getting close to the blade for sure.

M-5":143ni4iq said:
check craigs list , you can pick up a portable table saw for a good price .
Been watching and not found one within a hundred miles and then they want almost new price. Still watching, never had any luck at pawn shops on price but may check.

I have bought only a very few items from pawn shops over the years and have yet to get a good deal on anything. 2 of them come to mind. A Craftsman scroll saw with 16" throat that turned out the motor would bog down under any kind of cutting load (wouldn't cut 1/2" pine) and a benchtop drill press that turned out to have so much play in the spindle bearing/bushing once the spindle was brought down from it's stop it was almost useless for drilling anything close to a gauge hole. Didn't give much for them, but got my $'s worth I guess.

greybeard":1w943gi8 said:
I have bought only a very few items from pawn shops over the years and have yet to get a good deal on anything. A Craftsman scroll saw with 16" throat that turned out the motor would bog down under any kind of cutting load (wouldn't cut 1/2" pine) and a benchtop drill press that turned out to have so much play in the spindle bearing/bushing once the spindle was brought down from it's stop it was almost useless for drilling anything close to a gauge hole come to mind. Didn't give much for them, but got my $'s worth I guess.
Saw one sitting out in front of a pawn shop earlier. 10" Craftsman with stand, looks a little rough. $180, I didn't try to bargain any on price as sears has one for $200. For me to buy something like this used it needs to be half price.

tom4018":3h047tvl said:
M-5":3h047tvl said:
check craigs list , you can pick up a portable table saw for a good price .
Been watching and not found one within a hundred miles and then they want almost new price. Still watching, never had any luck at pawn shops on price but may check.

I went to a pawn shop for a grinder. That thing cost more than a new one, so I went back to Home Depot and bought the new one.

I've bought a lot of tools from pawn shops, but just hand tools. It's been my observation that they almost give them away, but want new prices for power tools.

Rafter S":34kxhpmk said:
I've bought a lot of tools from pawn shops, but just hand tools. It's been my observation that they almost give them away, but want new prices for power tools.

You're right there. Snap-On and Williams tools are not readily available at local stores. They can be had at pawn shops. A lot of time all box end wrenches are lumped into one tub, with a price per wrench on the box. You just have to pick out the good stuff from the junk.

backhoeboogie":1fpug8ty said:
Rafter S":1fpug8ty said:

You're right there. Snap-On and Williams tools are not readily available at local stores. They can be had at pawn shops. A lot of time all box end wrenches are lumped into one tub, with a price per wrench on the box. You just have to pick out the good stuff from the junk.

I went into a pawn shop once and picked up a handful of odds and ends hand tools, like punches, wrenches, drill bits, etc, and when I laid them on the counter and asked the guy how much he wanted for them he gathered them up, turned around, and laid them on a scale. I don't remember what the price was, but it wasn't much. That was the first, and so far only, time I've bought tools by the pound.