Any time now!

Help Support CattleToday:

Terri Stanley

Reaction score
Greetings all! Our cow Lady has indeed been bred. From this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=96627
She would have been bred on 6-1-14. That puts her at March 10, I think.
Big changes in her vulva and utter the last week.
She has now wondered off away from the nice dry barn that has fresh bedding,
down onto one of the feilds. I just checked on her and she is annoyed.
I came back to grab a drink and a snack before going back to check on her.
I'm so nervous! And, I'm freaking out a little too! :oops:

I do have her progress pics, I'll post them as soon as I get them uploaded.

I just convinced her to come back to the barn and noticed she now has a clear gel like material coming from her vulva. She is also swishing her tail and it certainly isn't fly season here in WV.
I saw what I think was her mucus plug probably 4 days ago, I need to check my notes to be sure.

How soon after the lubricating gel material starts can a calf be expected?

If it's slippery instead of sticky she is probably getting pretty close. I would let her be for a couple of hours and see if there is any change.

We have a calf! Looks like she just had it, she's still cleaning it and it's tryingto stand up. I wanted to give her a chance to clean up and bond so I came down to finish my coffee.
I'll call an experienced neighbor to help with naval and castration if it's a bull. But, I think it's a heifer. So relieved!

Here are some images taken this morning. It was a bit nreve wracking as I've never done this before.
But Lady did all the hard work. The calf is a heifer, exactly what I was hoping for.

Terri Stanley":2jdc4pqi said:
Here are some images taken this morning. It was a bit nreve wracking as I've never done this before.
But Lady did all the hard work. The calf is a heifer, exactly what I was hoping for.