Any Questions about Australia???

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowder- just as soon as you get over here ;-) I've saved you a spot :p

Flaboy- yes, we eat roo, no, it doesn't taste like chicken. Some people like it, I'm one that doesn't- yuk! :roll:

cfpinz- yeh, they do. Of late they've also started wearing Armani suits and the chicks have been being dressed by Versace ;-) :cboy:

my husband, Van, was in Australia about a year and a half ago. Sent me back a pic of him with a kangaroo...big sucker! When he gets back from Oshkosh I'll ask him if he wants to ask you any questions. :D

Alice

showkid1200":2m7hf6uh said:
how much does it cost to live over there compared to living in the U.S

I haven't a clue about what it costs to live there, but I do know that getting any kind of work visa is dang near impossible.

Alice

well I read in some article that you have to have a job you are going to in Australia or they won't let you move there

Beefy":8z9s3gl1 said:
do you have any questions about the United States?

Why are they called "United" if one of them is in the middle of the ocean and another is hanging off the tail end of Canada?

Alice- lol, I'll be glad to answer any questions he has :p

L Weir- Asutralia Zoo is in Qld, I'm in SA, so, thankfully, I'm a long long long way away from Steve Irwin!!! No, I haven't met him, and I have no desire to do so!! :roll:

showkid- I couldn't tell you, as I haven't lived in the US! But I can tell you petrol prices are absolutely ridiculous- at one station on Tuesday night, it was 132.9 cents/litre, yesterday it was 147.9cents/litre :roll: We might be back to ponies soon!!

You can come to Aus for work or study, if you want to stay a fair while. At my Uni accomodation, we've got a fair few Yanks and Canadians about the place.

Here here Carla,I have no desire to meet Steve Irwin. His Zoo is about 4 hours north north east of us. our fuel at the moment is 138 cents a litre. Went 4 hours south of us two weeks ago and the price was $1.50 a litre then. We are close to the Queensland border so we get Queensland prices usually.
PS How did you go in Alice Springs with your Shorthorns?

Here here Carla,I have no desire to meet Steve Irwin. His Zoo is about 4 hours north north east of us. our fuel at the moment is 138 cents a litre. Went 4 hours south of us two weeks ago and the price was $1.50 a litre then. We are close to the Queensland border so we get Queensland prices usually.
PS How did you go in Alice Springs with your Shorthorns?

Fuel is positively ridiculous at the moment, haven't seen what it is today yet but I hate to think. Amazingly when I go home from the city it's usually cheaper in the country. Bizarre!
I didn't end up going to Alice, a friend took some Charolais bulls up and had top price Charolais. The Puffers (Poll Herefords) did quite well from what I have heard, as did the Santas.
Hamilton Downs did very well with their Shorty steers, took out top carcase and top pen too, I'll have to check exactly what it was tho so don't quote me on that. They were most successful anyway!
I didn't go to Alice as I had to prepare for the SA Heifer Expo last week, which ended up bneing very worthwhile. My heifer came 5th in a strong class, I won my parader's and also the 2nd major prize of the event, a Robertson's AI and Preg Testing course and also an AI kit, which I was very pleased about!! I also came 5th overall in the Senior Herdsman's competition, which I was happy about as it was only my second shot at it.
How are things in your neck of the woods?

I have always wanted to fight a Kangaroo. Can you send me one? How much will it cost?

Had around 25 mls over our properties the past week. Light frost this morning. 20 degrees yesterday 19 today. Very unusual for this area this time of the year. Should be anywhere from a top of 5 degrees to 12 degrees. Something has to give soon. Will start soon on the spring showteam. Some South Devons and Brahmans.Not going to the Brisbane Show with cattle this year,might go for a look though. Sick of being last breed judged and not having judges that know the breed (SD)
There's over 100 Brahmans entered. I think they have about 1200 head entered. Charolais top the number with over 200. There is 47 Shorthorns entered.Jason Catts from ? Futurity Shorthorns from Goondiwindi Q is judging the Shorthorns. I thinks he's a fair judge. Let you know how it goes.
Our cows are calving well. All our Herefords are finished,the earliest ever. They have calves by mostly Hereford and a few SDs. The Brahmans don't start till late September,The SDs have started going well some good bulls amongst them. Our heifers are about 90% finished calving to Brahmans. These heifers are a mix of pure SD,SD/Hereford,Black Baldy,Gelbvieh/SD and South Brahvon. We have mix of breeds as you can see. We have used a Shorthorn 3 seasons ago. Got about a dozen cross breeders out of mainly Hereford and SD. SD cross very well with Shorthorn,a nice light red roan colour they are.
Keep breeding good Shorthorns. I can remember about 35 years seeing some of the best Brahman Shorthorn cattle in Western NSW. I visited a Brahman stud herd that used them to upgrade from. They were big framed,plenty of milk. Ideal beef animals.
Colin

auctionboy":2angr7p8 said:
I have always wanted to fight a Kangaroo. Can you send me one? How much will it cost?

I know a guy whose wife gave him one for his birthday. Cute little thing, but it goes berzerk if you take it out of it's pouch for very long. I think they got it from somewhere in Texas. It's just a baby. They keep it in a playpen in the living room.

Australian Cattleman":160m1ji4 said:
Had around 25 mls over our properties the past week. Light frost this morning. 20 degrees yesterday 19 today. Very unusual for this area this time of the year. Should be anywhere from a top of 5 degrees to 12 degrees. Something has to give soon. Will start soon on the spring showteam. Some South Devons and Brahmans.Not going to the Brisbane Show with cattle this year,might go for a look though. Sick of being last breed judged and not having judges that know the breed (SD)
There's over 100 Brahmans entered. I think they have about 1200 head entered. Charolais top the number with over 200. There is 47 Shorthorns entered.Jason Catts from ? Futurity Shorthorns from Goondiwindi Q is judging the Shorthorns. I thinks he's a fair judge. Let you know how it goes.
Our cows are calving well. All our Herefords are finished,the earliest ever. They have calves by mostly Hereford and a few SDs. The Brahmans don't start till late September,The SDs have started going well some good bulls amongst them. Our heifers are about 90% finished calving to Brahmans. These heifers are a mix of pure SD,SD/Hereford,Black Baldy,Gelbvieh/SD and South Brahvon. We have mix of breeds as you can see. We have used a Shorthorn 3 seasons ago. Got about a dozen cross breeders out of mainly Hereford and SD. SD cross very well with Shorthorn,a nice light red roan colour they are.
Keep breeding good Shorthorns. I can remember about 35 years seeing some of the best Brahman Shorthorn cattle in Western NSW. I visited a Brahman stud herd that used them to upgrade from. They were big framed,plenty of milk. Ideal beef animals.
Colin

At least you've had some rain, it's been pretty dry here for awhile. The early break we got down the south east was ruined by the series of frosts that followed- haven't seen it so bad before. Had to break the ice on the waterers in the shed every morning- usually it only gets to that stage 3 or 4 times during winter.
I half thought about heading up to the Ekka, Scott Ferguson wanted a hand with his Santa's- 110 head and only bout 5 workers. Would've loved to go but Uni is way too hectic at the moment and I need to take a fair bit of time off for Adelaide and Perth Royals, as well as the Shorty heifer show.
Jason Catts is quite a good judge in my opinion, very fair, never plays favourites. He judged for us at Naracoorte Bull Sale in March, and did a very good job. I don't think anyone complained. One of our bulls will be up there this year, bought at Dubbo, half brother to last year's Grand Champ. Will be interesting to see how he goes up against The Grove and Arubial studs, I hope he does reasonably well.
Sounds like you've been fairly busy. I myself haven't had a chance to stop in the last 6 weeks- exams, breaking heifers, showing the things and then back to Uni. Just have to break in the bulls and steer for Adelaide and we'll almost be organised!!
Good to hear from you.
Carla.

Latest posts