any problems storing cottonseed??

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
i feed whole cottonseed as a supplement in the winter, but with it being so dry, am considering supplementing some now.

i know with corn, you have to watch the weevils this time of year. what problems will i run into with the cottonseed?

thanks

jt

Way back when, we had a peanut trailer loaded to the gills with cottonseed. We supplemented the hay with it for a few years. Nothing got into it but rodents. It got to smelling like rat pee pretty bad by the time we got down to the last of the stuff. Cattle didn't seem to mind though.

BTW, anyone need a used peanut trailer, slightly rusty? It's taking up space. ;-)

lol.. I could throw in a 45' reefer trailer without the reefer unit working. Worked good for storing vermicelli and noodles in for a year or so.. just "yard art" right now.

We feed cotton seed and as long as it is off the ground we don't have much problem with weevils. We keep ours in a trailer in the yard. We have three dogs that eat rodents, rabbits and just about anything smaller than them so rodents haven't been a problem.

TheBullLady":1o1m94bw said:
lol.. I could throw in a 45' reefer trailer without the reefer unit working. Worked good for storing vermicelli and noodles in for a year or so.. just "yard art" right now.

Wow, like you grew your reefer in a trailer?? We had a hard enough time to get it to grow in our dorm room, never thought about trying to get it to grow in a trailer. You must of had some really big grow lights and fans and stuff huh? ;-) Ahhh..the good old days.

eric":32r0b04a said:
TheBullLady":32r0b04a said:

Wow, like you grew your reefer in a trailer?? We had a hard enough time to get it to grow in our dorm room, never thought about trying to get it to grow in a trailer. You must of had some really big grow lights and fans and stuff huh? ;-) Ahhh..the good old days.

:shock: You need another alias, err, username Eric. If that IS your real name. :lol:

Nah, that was in the good ol' halcion influenced days of the 80's....where our motto was better living through chemicals. Dont know how we ever made it out of the 70's&80's, but somehow we did. Everybody probably has something in their past they probably wish they could change. :cboy:

I always wondered what happened to Tommy Chong. Now I know- He is a machinist in Texas. New name is Eric.

TheBullLady":1niachxo said:

Wow, that's some awfully fancy cattle feed! :eek: :lol:

When you suppliment with cotton seed, how much do you feed? Are you feeding the cotton seed alone or do you mix it with sileage or other grains? e.g... 3/4 oats and corn mixture, 1/4 cotton seed. I have never fed whole cotton seed to cattle before. I have acess to it, and would like to know what ratios are used. I have learned from everyone not to feed large quantities of it to the bull.

Chuckie":3qzg8l92 said:
When you suppliment with cotton seed, how much do you feed? Are you feeding the cotton seed alone or do you mix it with sileage or other grains? e.g... 3/4 oats and corn mixture, 1/4 cotton seed. I have never fed whole cotton seed to cattle before. I have acess to it, and would like to know what ratios are used. I have learned from everyone not to feed large quantities of it to the bull.

chuckie, i dont have a set way... i generally feed what i can get my hands on in bulk whether it be corn, cottonseed or rice bran..

i have been told to limit the cottonseed to 5# per day per head... but admit i usually dont give that much. i am told you can give a bull up to 5# a day too, but i dont. i will give them a little cottonseed, but prefer to feed them corn or corn mixed with soybean meal or cottonseed meal or rice bran if i have it.

with the cows, i like to give the whole cottonseed to them, especially when they have calves on their side... it increases milk production. the place where i buy my cottonseeds sells bunches of them to dairies. if i have something to mix with it, i will, but if i dont, mine love straight cottonseed.

hope this answers your questions.

jt

The cotton seed I feed comes in cube form, similiar to range cubes. it's 38% protein, so I usually put out out about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per hd a couple times a week.

Chuckie":fldu4rho said:
Thanks jt! You did answer my question. I just wasn't sure how much you could feed a cow in one day. eric, I have never heard of cotton seed cubes.

whole cottonseed is about 20-21% protein. it is a good source of protein, fat and fiber... the whole cottonseed i get still has the lint on it.

jt

Chuckie":bt82lkr6 said:

Back when we fed the stuff we had whole seed with lint still on it. We'd unroll a round bail and drive along side it and throw out scoopfulls from a washtub onto the hay. I was a kid at the time and suffered the priviledge of having to crawl in the trailer and load up the cottonseed and then bounce along on the tailgate throwing it out on the hay.

JT,

How much rice bran do you feed? Do you feed the 'full fat' or the squeezed stuff? I am currently feeding rice bran at a rate of about 2lbs per head per day. I was planning on grinding some milo this fall and blending it with the rice bran (if it ever rains and I have any).

JB

J Baxter":lbmjrc2g said:
JT,

How much rice bran do you feed? Do you feed the 'full fat' or the squeezed stuff? I am currently feeding rice bran at a rate of about 2lbs per head per day. I was planning on grinding some milo this fall and blending it with the rice bran (if it ever rains and I have any).

JB

i dont know the difference in full fat vs squeezed?? what i have access to is a powdery feed with a little rice in it.... sometimes more rice than others...

how much? if i have something to mix it with like corn, i would feed about 50/50. if not, just straight at about 1% of their body weight... give or take...feed people may say this is not right, and i dont always do the same... i let the condtion of my cattle dictate how much.

i know that is not a direct answer probably, but i dont always do the same thing.. an example is... if i have something to mix with it and want to really put it on em, then i will work them up to about 3% of their body weight.

jt

The full fat has all the rice oil left in it. You can usually make a loose ball out of it. Riceland and some of the other big guys have started squeezing the oil out of there bran....isn't near as good feed.

The bran I am feeding is 14% fat and 14-17% protein. It enables me to stretch my hay a long way and still keep my cows looking good. I have wanted to try it at heavier body weight percentages, but I am leary with the phosphorous content being so high. I leave high calcium minerals out all the time.

JB

No major problems here with storing it. Only thing I can think of is don't keep it in a place where CATS have access to it. :shock: Mine must think it's the neatest kitty-litter they've ever encountered. Ugh.

Last I heard, rates to cattle were not to exceed 0.05% of body weight for adult animals, calves less. (Or 15% of total feed ration.) So a 1,000lb cow shouldn't get more than 5lbs/day. However, I think you have to feed 3% of body weight to adult animals - cows/bulls before causing problems like sterility in bulls or cardiac arrest.

Latest posts