Any other Great Dane owners?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
Curious to see if anyone else here owns or has experience with Great Danes. :D
This is Lilah, 1 yr old, 110+(been a couple months since i weighed her, is hard to pick up her up and hold her on the scale.) and 34-35" at shoulder.
2-3 months old.
IMG_5804_zps25a85e5d.jpg

IMG_5805_zps03e0fc33.jpg

4 almost 5 months. already being a menace.
IMG_5889_zps4ed23138.jpg

IMG_5888_zpsde769b2e.jpg

IMG_7126_zps667a8f3d.jpg

6-7 months.
IMG_6267_zpsdb7c23d8.jpg

IMG_6973_zps680585f0.jpg

2645abea-3036-4b4b-9b95-eff2247c50d0_zps0c0c230f.jpg

awkward teenager stage.
IMG_6969_zpsc28172a2.jpg

1 year old. I'm 5'8" and she won't fully mature until 2 yrs old, so she may still outgrow me lol.
IMG_3352_zpsdd47664e.jpg

Great pictures. She's a pretty girl. My wife's Grandparents have had several Danes. Theirs have been really good dogs. The one they have right now is a big ol baby. When he's in the house he about fills up the whole love seat on his own. The cows aren't really sure what to think of him when he's in the field with them- not sure if he's a strange looking cow or a dog. The only downside to them is their life expectancy isn't as long as a lot of other breeds.

No experience with them, but sure do like them! I love when their ears are left natural. She is a beautiful girl! Love her coloring and markings!

Thank you for the comments! Mine is a huge baby and I literally caught her barking at her own shadow the other day because she was scared of it. Mine knows she isn't allowed on the furniture but will sit on my lap instead! Talk about a big lap dog! She literally doesn't understand how big she is. Her life expectancy is not one of the things I really like to think about, but I'm always glad for each day I have with her. I know I'll be lucky if I get 10 years with her.
tamarack, They come in black, black mantle, blue merle or merle mantle(mine), fawn, blue, brindle and sometimes chocolate. They also come in white, but white danes are almost always blind and/or deaf.

Also, I do like their ears natural, too. I think it's kind of cruel to do their ears like that just because some people like the way. Thanks you! She has a few random chocolate spots, too.

I have zero experience with them, but 20 years ago I had a boss that had one. I also stayed at a Best Western Friday night :D
I have been absolutely dreading the day my old redbone is gone. He's getting old and having a tough time maintaining condition. I know part of the reason is this brutal winter, but he isn't long for this world. I've been thinking of what I'll do when he's gone. Not a pleasant thing to ponder, but I've always had a dog and he is MY dog, and ole Rascal is it right now. We have other dogs, but he's mine and he reminds me of that every day. :nod:
You have a beautiful friend. Thanks for sharing.
I think my next dog will be welcomed into the house. Ive never been owned by a dog that would allow me to share the house, but I have been caught taking a nap with him in the hammock. Speaking of that, I'm ready for hammock weather!!

She's a beauty! I love Danes, we had 1 that was 1/2 Dane and 2 purebreds. All 3 of them were really special dogs, just a wonderful disposition. Truly gentle giants. Sometimes they can be too timid, you have to help them build up their confidence.

Their life span is the down side. The 1st purebred Dane died in her sleep at 6. Just went to sleep as normal and never woke up. The 2nd one, we sought out a breeder who had longevity in her dogs. We saw a 12 year old who was still going strong. But our dog got osteo sarcoma, bone cancer, and had to be put down at age 6.

So I am on a break from them, just not ready to have my heart broken again like that.

Never owned one but have had a couple of great pyrenees....either could probably pull a plow if necessary.

slick4591":10cuig3u said:
Beautiful dogs, but the food bill scares me.

It is a beautiful dog. I have a friend that has one and I've questioned him about the feed bill and he says his eats less than the other dogs he has. I don't see how that is possible given her size but that's what he says.

They don't eat much for their size unless they are very, very active. Most people keep them as a house dog, they lay around a lot and just don't burn up the fuel.

They do some things that only Great Danes seem to do. Like lay down to play with a smaller dog. It's like they go out of their way not to be intimidating. They will also back up to a chair or sofa, sit on it with their front feet on the floor. And they can get all revved up, run, wrestle and play hard, but when play time is over, turn right back into a couch potato.

inyati13":24imne38 said:
TexasBred":24imne38 said:
Never owned one but have had a couple of great pyrenees....either could probably pull a plow if necessary.

TB, do they have any problems with the heat in your region?
I'm not TB but my wife and mom have both had a couple of them and they do fine in our summers and it gets over a hundred an average of thirty five days a year here. They slobber and pant quite a bit but they do that when it's frozen out as well.
My mom's new project is an English Mastiff. I think his biggest asset as a guard dog is that people are scared to come on the place in fear of stepping on a collosal turd.

my ex had 2 of them I miss them a lot more than her. Those were 2 of the most fun dogs I ever been around loved to play fetch with a tennis ball. maybe one day I will get one of my own.

Years ago my brother had one they called Victor. After they had his coin purse emptied I just called him Bruce. They had a couple of cats that would lay on the roof of his truck, mainly to get away from Bruce. After one of the infrequent rains he noticed that the roof of the truck was caved in and had water standing in it. Yup, Bruce decided that was a dandy place to lay.
He was a lot of fun to play fetch with. Hw would take off after the ball and over shoot it, then turn around in a big arc and over shoot it again. Usually took him about 4 laps to finally get the ball.

Thank you for the compliments everyone! Mine eats around 10+ cups a day because she is more active. If she was not, she wouldn't eat all that much. She's still pretty much a puppy, so she's still hyper. They won't mature fully until around 2, and eat less as they get older. Mine runs for a maximum of 45 minutes and she is done for the day and her energy is shot. I hear people who say they're the laziest dogs, and that's true for the most part. She leans on everything(mainly me!) and prefers to sit on me rather than the floor. Like MO_cows said, she backs up to me sitting on the couch or in a chair and will just sit on me anywhere. Her butt on my leg & front paws on the floor. I was laying on the rug one day and she sat on my ribs and I thought I was dying. I don't lay in the floor anymore.

MO_cows":185j7nx3 said:
She's a beauty! I love Danes, we had 1 that was 1/2 Dane and 2 purebreds. All 3 of them were really special dogs, just a wonderful disposition. Truly gentle giants. Sometimes they can be too timid, you have to help them build up their confidence.

Their life span is the down side. The 1st purebred Dane died in her sleep at 6. Just went to sleep as normal and never woke up. The 2nd one, we sought out a breeder who had longevity in her dogs. We saw a 12 year old who was still going strong. But our dog got osteo sarcoma, bone cancer, and had to be put down at age 6.

So I am on a break from them, just not ready to have my heart broken again like that.
Honestly that's one of my worst fears before and after I got Lilah. I wouldn't trade her for anything, but sometimes I just wish I would have fallen in love with a different breed and a different dog who is expected to have a longer lifespan. Although, I do like to say that a Great Dane who will only live to be 10 will love more in those 10 years than another dog who lives to be 15 can in those 10 years. I have nothing against any other breed, I've owned plenty & plenty of mutts, but I don't think I can ever get away from this breed now. I will be devastated when she passes. I give my condolences to you, I hope you will mend soon.

Dogs and Cows":185j7nx3 said:
We have 2 Danes...both about a year and a half old. Female and male and they are amazing dogs. Both push about 150 lbs. They are true gentle giants. That being said...I would not want to break into my house...haha...those dogs would not take kindly to that...which is fine with me. However, when we have guests over they are perfect citizens. From this point forward in my life I will have a Dane. I have been won over...and surprisingly, the food bill is not that bad for dogs of their size. I heard someone once say that Danes think they are lap dogs...and now I know why LOL! Enjoy your baby, she is beautiful!! They are wonderful dogs!!!!!

Tim
I pray for the person who decides to break into either mine or your house lol, because they would be goners! Mine is a huge baby but one night I took her outside to use the bathroom and something rattled in the leaves and she was full on attack mode. That's what I like about her. A gentle giant but not afraid to protect :nod: She likes all my friends and always wants to play with them but none of them really understand what to do with a dog that big lol. Thank you! I hope you guys have many healthy years to come with yours! I am completely won over as well :nod:

wacocowboy":185j7nx3 said:
my ex had 2 of them I miss them a lot more than her. Those were 2 of the most fun dogs I ever been around loved to play fetch with a tennis ball. maybe one day I will get one of my own.
Lol, my step aunt has one, the actual first one I've ever met and I would go to her house just to see him. She's pretty crazy but I went just for him, to see and play with him.

dun":185j7nx3 said:
Years ago my brother had one they called Victor. After they had his coin purse emptied I just called him Bruce. They had a couple of cats that would lay on the roof of his truck, mainly to get away from Bruce. After one of the infrequent rains he noticed that the roof of the truck was caved in and had water standing in it. Yup, Bruce decided that was a dandy place to lay.
He was a lot of fun to play fetch with. Hw would take off after the ball and over shoot it, then turn around in a big arc and over shoot it again. Usually took him about 4 laps to finally get the ball.
I was sitting in the back of my dads pickup during summer one day letting Lilah run loose in the yard. I was thinking, nah, she can't get up here, too high. She took off at full speed and jumped up in it and laid down beside me and looked so accomplished. My face was pretty much :eek:

More pictures when she was 4-5 months old. Such a goofball.
IMG_5974_zps76e10567.jpg

why she laid sideways i will never know. i guess it was more comfortable.
IMG_5932_zps7455a9ca.jpg

she also slept beside her bed. logic. ignore that piece of bone in the floor lol.
IMG_5972_zps2169e263.jpg

Latest posts