Any nutritionists out there??

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
I'm looking to come up with a new creep feed ration and need a little help balancing it. If anyone has a source on what amounts of DM, TDN, NEg, CP, CF.... and so on that need to be in a balanced creep ration, I'd appreciate a link.

I've been sitting here googling to try to get an analysis on MFA's Cattle Charge or Trendsetter feeds, but keep coming up empty handed. We've used both and were very satisfied, but I think with a little homework, I can come up with a similar ration for less cost.

Any thoughts would be helpful

Feed component information is on a lable on the feed bag. If buying bulk, the mill where you get it from will also have a referance book that tells you the basic feed component and total mix information. You can use the general feed equations to relate various energy metrics, TDN etc. for the given components. However, there's more to it than just hitting a desired TDN/CP target. You have to also be aware of how your mix affects the PH level in the rumen. Even then then there are other longer term affects such as liver abcess that improperly balanced rations can cause.

Another consieration is cost. I had been mixing my own for my feeder steers for the past 2 years but the increase in corn prices made it cheaper to buy a premix in small quanity bulk form a mill even considering the $10 dollar gas bill every 3weeks to do get it.

Latest posts