any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
My freind moved some cattle home, beef hiefers, and everything was going fine, until one day he noticed, one of the heifers, coming out of the pond real slow, dripping snot from its nose, and breathing real hard, where the snot just kept coming out. He had to go to work, and when he got home, like 9 hours later, he went looking for the heifer, and found it dead in the woods, way in the woods.

He doesn't think it was pneumonia, because of the suddenness of it all, any ideas?

GMN

I've seen pneumonia kill cows in a matter of hours. Wouldn't rule it out.

Sounds like pneumonia to me . This time of year is perfect for those kinds of problems . To the inexperienced the early signs go undetected . They better watch the rest more closely, that first one may be a warning .

Larry

the only for sure way to find out is to get a post done. With the quickness this happened, i would have a post done just incase there is a pathogen in the herd and more could die. The post would be a preventative for more deaths so to speak.

Initially i said pneumonia too, but with this being a yearling heifer, seems pretty quick.Unfortunately he did not have a necropsy done on it, but is watching the rest of them carefully.

GMN

I've seen pneumonia kill an adult cow in 2 days. By the time we noticed, we had just enough time to hit her with some real expensive meds before she died.

The other option could be Acute Interstital Empheysema (pneumonia). Which can occur when animals are moved from poor pasture to good pasture. It is not common in yearlings, but can affect them. We have dealt with it, and it is not pretty. Here is some more info

http://agbiopubs.sdstate.edu/articles/ExEx11008.pdf

I have a recipie for medication that our vet gave us, if I can find it I will post it. The cows we treated recovered enough to be sold for slaughter, they did not recover enough for us to keep them in the herd.

randiliana":7zf296lv said:
I've seen pneumonia kill an adult cow in 2 days. By the time we noticed, we had just enough time to hit her with some real expensive meds before she died.

The other option could be Acute Interstital Empheysema (pneumonia). Which can occur when animals are moved from poor pasture to good pasture. It is not common in yearlings, but can affect them. We have dealt with it, and it is not pretty. Here is some more info

http://agbiopubs.sdstate.edu/articles/ExEx11008.pdf

I have a recipie for medication that our vet gave us, if I can find it I will post it. The cows we treated recovered enough to be sold for slaughter, they did not recover enough for us to keep them in the herd.

This could be a real possibility, because he had just moved them from poorer pasture to a better one.

GMN

randiliana":2fiy1qat said:

I would love to have that recipe- we feed a byproduct that AIP is a concern with. Knock on wood haven't seen it yet.

Howdyjabo":2ipdac56 said:
randiliana":2ipdac56 said:

I would love to have that recipe- we feed a byproduct that AIP is a concern with. Knock on wood haven't seen it yet.

Well, I have searched everywhere for it and can't find it. I am sure it is around somewhere, so when I find it I will post it. I know it contained penicillin and dex, but can't remember if that was all, or the amounts of each.

Latest posts