Any Ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_telly_369

Reaction score
We have an 11 month old heifer, she's hunkered up and skinny. She's put some more weight on since she was put on the new pasture, but she's still skinny. Last Monday, she was given calcium gel. And last Sunday she was given Ivomec, 8-Way, and Estrumate.

Any ideas on what to give her or what could be wrong?

Why did you give her the Estrumate? Does she breath well? Have a fever? Has a vet looked at her?

Estrumate was given because the bull had gotten into the calf pen which had her in it. She seems to breathe normal. A vet hasn't looked at her yet, seems the sister and I are the only ones who worry.

Why calcium gel? Have you taken a temp? Have you called your vet? Is she eating? What is she being fed, how much, and how often? 'Hunkered up' would indicate to me she isn't feeling well, but without a little more information it's hard to tell why.

Could be lots of things, we can only guess without seeing her.
Maybe hardware.

msscamp":387sa3o0 said:
Why calcium gel? Have you taken a temp? Have you called your vet? Is she eating? What is she being fed, how much, and how often? 'Hunkered up' would indicate to me she isn't feeling well, but without a little more information it's hard to tell why.

Grandpa said to give her calcium gel, so he gave her calcium gel. Vet hasn't been called. Temp hasn't been taken. She's eating. She's not on grain right now, but she's on regular pasture, on 22 acres with 7 other 11 month olds.

mnmtranching":ijsgwlw9 said:
Could be lots of things, we can only guess without seeing her.
Maybe hardware.

Hopefully we can move her tomorrow. If we can, I'll get a picture.
I thought maybe hardware, and I started a shopping list that has a magnet on it.

hunkered up? Sounds to me like she needs to be on some protein, and good grass... Usually if they are eating ok, and drinking, then should be fine. Just needs more nutrition, as long as you have all the "health" medications covered.

Latest posts