Any freemartin success?

Help Support CattleToday:

John in WI

Reaction score
I know that the fertility rate on freemartins is about 5%, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has had success in breeding one of these? I have a pair of twin holstiens - one bull, one heifer. She's very friendly and I'd love for her to be fertile, although I know the chances are slim. Just looking for anyone who's had success. Thanks.
John

John in WI":7vmu0vop said:
I know that the fertility rate on freemartins is about 5%, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has had success in breeding one of these? I have a pair of twin holstiens - one bull, one heifer. She's very friendly and I'd love for her to be fertile, although I know the chances are slim. Just looking for anyone who's had success. Thanks.
John

By definition a freemartin is a sterile heifer. Not all heifers born twin to a bull arefreemartins. There is a DNA test through UC Davis that will tell you conclusively if she is or isn;t a freemartin

dun

I have a friend who is a Simmental breeder. They had two different heifers born twin to a bull, that they successfully bred. If she looks normal on the outside, and you can slip a thermometer in her vulva, it's worth the blood test to check her out. Or you can wait til she's breeding age, and if she cycles, have a vet palpate her.

I've never had any luck with a twin female being able to breed. Last year took one to A & M to check, and the vet said in his experience, he's never seen one that is a breeder.

John in WI":1088eptd said:
John

Do not waste your time.

There are a LOT of good animals out there - even some good - ughhhh - Holsteins.

Sell it - buy another. Any time spent on this heifer is time wasted and the delay of another calf.

If you are in it for the money you know I speak the truth and you know what to do.

If you are in it for ..... whatever .... then you will not do as I suggest anyways. Calf is an animal - dsigned to be used for food, milk, other calves or whatever. Not designed to be a pet. They grow big and they can grow to be trouble.

Fatten it and eat it if you do not want to sell it. Properly finished Holstein tastes rather good actually.

Bez!

I thank all of you for the information, the tips, and the definition-clarification. I really appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge on these boards!

Latest posts