Any Dove hunters out there

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":3lzeezad said:
I heard the other day that shot is going for $50 a bag. I have a couple I own @$8.00 who woulda guessed Lead would be that good of an investment.
Lead shortage created by the Chinese using so much in the paint that they use on toys.

Our season started September 1st here in Lubbock. Our first morning we shot 40 with 5 us of there. Tuesday afternoon Me and two other buddies went out and we got 38. Very hit and miss here for dove right now. All Mourning dove except 3 Collared Dove. I've only seen two White-wings and that was in town. The teal seem to be here though, and its only two weeks away!

duckhuntandbillybobs024.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality, it was at night on my cell phone,

Tyler

We have a problem with hunters in my neighborhood. When hunting season starts they seem to go nuts. They shoot most anything that moves with feathers. Some get drunk while hunting. They cross our fences and generally do damage. Last year they even shot our house while we were having a family barbecue. I am all for a good safe hunt, but some of these guys simply go nuts. Tom :cboy:

kerley":1ur6meg1 said:
We have a problem with hunters in my neighborhood. When hunting season starts they seem to go nuts. They shoot most anything that moves with feathers. Some get drunk while hunting. They cross our fences and generally do damage. Last year they even shot our house while we were having a family barbecue. I am all for a good safe hunt, but some of these guys simply go nuts. Tom :cboy:

You're right Kerley and those are the slobs who ruin it for the rest of us.

This is Dove Hunt Story in TN. Here are the exerts from newspaper. So you boys watch where you shoot. You could get into trouble.

Hunters Bag Cable Service

Cable service to some Pulaski residents was an unexpected casualty of dove season's opening day yesterday (Monday).

TWRA officer David Crane said there are no specific laws concerning the shooting of lines during hunting seasons.

"It usually comes down to civil penalties between the power company, the landowner or the people in the field," Crane said. "Usually it falls back on the landowner who allowed the hunt."

Crane said it is not illegal to shoot doves off power and other utility lines but added that it is considered highly unethical to do so.
Full story link.
http://www.gilestoday.com/Stories/080902HuntersBagCableService.html

kerley":3ve8n7uk said:

I love a cold beer but never got drunk dove hunting..I have missed out on a few doves cause I couldn't find a spot to sit my beer down in time to make the shot. :lol: :lol:

We had a few guys hunting in a bated field, ( excuse me) they tried to hunt but as soon as they all got sat in place the game warden came up so noone fired a shot and 1 ran. The 4 or 5 got a $254 while the one that got away let his shotgun (borrowed from a friend not there) but had to buy the friend a $400 replacement. Needless to say he paid worse. NEVER think you won't get caught, DUH, next to game wardens hunting area.

The limit in Texas is 12 per day, two days in possession (24 birds). If you're huntng on opening day and you have 24 birds in possession you're in trouble. If you're hunting on the second day or any day thereafter it'd be hard (not impossible) to prove you didn't get all 24 in one day. If you are carrying birds for someone else, the bag holding the birds must be marked with the other hunters license number and you must have a signed note from that hunter stating you have permission to carry the extra birds.

Couple of things more about dove hunting in Texas. There is a special white wing zone along the Texas/Mexico border. That zone opens around the first part of September for two weekends. Hunting in that zone starts at noon - you can not hunt in the special white wing zone in the morning.

The gun must have a three shell plug for hunting dove in Texas. You can not shoot five shots (or more) at one time during dove hunting season.

I hunt with a couple of fellers that use the one shot one bird rule (I hate em). Me? My philosphy is if you throw up enough lead in the air something is bound to fly into it. I'm usually a one case, one bird man.

Earl Thigpen":269d3cet said:
The limit in Texas is 12 per day, two days in possession (24 birds). If you're huntng on opening day and you have 24 birds in possession you're in trouble. If you're hunting on the second day or any day thereafter it'd be hard (not impossible) to prove you didn't get all 24 in one day. If you are carrying birds for someone else, the bag holding the birds must be marked with the other hunters license number and you must have a signed note from that hunter stating you have permission to carry the extra birds.

Couple of things more about dove hunting in Texas. There is a special white wing zone along the Texas/Mexico border. That zone opens around the first part of September for two weekends. Hunting in that zone starts at noon - you can not hunt in the special white wing zone in the morning.

The gun must have a three shell plug for hunting dove in Texas. You can not shoot five shots (or more) at one time during dove hunting season.

I hunt with a couple of fellers that use the one shot one bird rule (I hate em). Me? My philosphy is if you throw up enough lead in the air something is bound to fly into it. I'm usually a one case, one bird man.

Earl sounds like me and you shoot a lot alike....best case is the one in the cooler after the hunt.

Latest posts