Any Dove hunters out there

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar p":28gua1bo said:
Alabama's Dove season opens next Saturday for the northern zone. I'm ready!!!

I have had some good times on a dove field.

Your not far from some of my kinfolk in Morgan City.

Colorado opens on Monday. For my money and most others it's two weeks too late. We are lucky to have good shooting one year in five. Seems like every year we get a cold spell a week before the season and all the little buggers head out for Texas. This year we lost them 2 weeks ago.

Sure do like hunting them tho, grouse opens the same day but we never go after them on the first of Sept. They are more of a target of opportunity.

Took us til noon to find the birds but when we did the shooting was very fast and furious.

I do not want to talk about perchantages but suffice it to say I went past the second box a little ways for that limit.

Season opened up today here in texas in the central zone. I limited out both morning and evening. I couldn't hardly keep my gun loaded there were so many flying. Good luck to the rest of u dove hunters

sewall":20onsgt5 said:
Season opened up today here in texas in the central zone. I limited out both morning and evening. I couldn't hardly keep my gun loaded there were so many flying. Good luck to the rest of u dove hunters

Is it actually legal to shoot two limits a day in Texas?

As far as I know it is. 12 is the limit and you can have 24 in possession. If I'm wrong someone correct me cause I don't want a fine

Opened yesterday here in Texas. I got 14 nice ones....8 whitewings, 4 ringnecks and 2 mourning doves. No limit on those "ring necks".

sewall":1mkfnvtr said:
As far as I know it is. 12 is the limit and you can have 24 in possession. If I'm wrong someone correct me cause I don't want a fine

I don't know about Texas but, up here 30 in possession means AFTER the first day. You can shoot 15 a day in Colo and have no more than 30 in the freezer at one time. But it sounds like you are OK as of today. Just don't go and get another limit and freeze them without eating enough to keep your level in the freezer at or below 24

TexasBred":tlquan3g said:
Opened yesterday here in Texas. I got 14 nice ones....8 whitewings, 4 ringnecks and 2 mourning doves. No limit on those "ring necks".

All we have here outside of town is mourning doves. The "ringnecks" are pretty much in town. I wish that population would increase but they don't migrate and winter is pretty hard on them.

Its illegal to hunt in the morning and the evening. The 24 in possesion means you can have your birds and your son's birds in your vehicle and you son riding in the truck behind you. :D

Does any one else do jackpots? We like to chip in like $5 a person and who ever gets their limit with the least amount of shots wins the pot.

Brute 23":3fq4vnkp said:
Its illegal to hunt in the morning and the evening. The 24 in possesion means you can have your birds and your son's birds in your vehicle and you son riding in the truck behind you. :D

Does any one else do jackpots? We like to chip in like $5 a person and who ever gets their limit with the least amount of shots wins the pot.

Heck it's just easier for me to give all my partners $5.00 and forget the suspense. :help: I am good at a few things shooting shotguns ain't one of them.

Brute 23":3poruwwz said:
With the price of shells I am going back to a single shot. :eek:
:lol: Yep, usually if you miss the first shot, the next two are just for noise, fun, and effect. :)

1982vett":25g5cs98 said:
Brute 23":25g5cs98 said:
With the price of shells I am going back to a single shot. :eek:
:lol: Yep, usually if you miss the first shot, the next two are just for noise, fun, and effect. :)

That's why I switched from a Semi auto to an over and under, now I'm with Brute 23 I am going back to my old single shot 20ga. Besides I think you shoot better when you know you only have one shot. What's really scary is it's more expensive to reload that it is to buy "cheap" shells. I heard the other day that shot is going for $50 a bag. I have a couple I own @$8.00 who woulda guessed Lead would be that good of an investment.

I have a side-by-side, one barrel a full and the other a modified choke. Been years since I went hunting, but the last time I went it was a bit windy. Was pulling the modified first and full second. Noone was hitting anything. Finally I started pulling the full first and started knocking them down. Didn't need to pull the modified. Being on the windy side their weren't many flying and most were a bit far out. Was fun outshooting those $400 guns with a $90 Korean made gun. :nod: :D

Brute 23":3uod7a1x said:

Help...I thought it was from sun up to sun down....I went again yesterday and killed more Bud Light than I did birds. Too hot to hunt seriously

Sorry I said it wrong you can hunt all day, but the limit is per day. Meaning 6 in the morning, 6 in the evening, or any other combo that equals 12 all day.

IF the GW comes is the morning and check you... don't go to that same spot in the evening. IF the GW comes in the evening no worries. Ask me how I know. :lol:

Latest posts