Any Calgarians on here who can tell me.....

Help Support CattleToday:

jilleroo

Reaction score
what the weather will be like at Stampede time? We're heading over - we've booked and paid our deposit! We have no idea what sort of clothes we might need......does it get very hot during the day? Cold or just cooler at night? We can't see much info about the cattle competitions. Do they have a feature breed each year and, if so, does anyone know what it is this year? Thanks in advance.

We're quite a ways from Calgary but July is summer time and the days usually are warm (25 -30 C average), usually just shirt sleeve & jeans weather. You might want to pack a light jacket (windbreaker) for rain or cooler evenings.
You'll have to google Calgary Stampede to find the cattle show events......like many other big city events the cattle shows have been pushed out & are not that big any more. However there's lots of top PB herds within easy travelling distance & you could plan on several day trips visiting the breeders of your choice. Contact the Canadian breed associations that you are interested in (most of them are headquartered in Calgary) and they can help plan an itinerary.
Enjoy your trip!

Apparently on Cattle Today it is frowned upon to use theword s.. h.. i.. r.. t as it keeps editing to "be nice" :???:

The weather in Calgary can be described as variable. During early July it is usually quite warm but it can be pretty cool. The warm days can often be cooled down in late afternoon and evening with thunder showers. Haven't been for a few years so I don't know what the livestock show if featuring anymore. I am sure you will have a great time though, and the previous suggestion to contact pb outfits is a good one. The Livestock Identification Association Conference is in Calgary right after the stampede.

It can get pretty rainy but always a good time. If Ty Wilson rides while your there that's my kid-I'll be the fat guy behind the bronc chute.

Will keep an eye out for Ty! We're still on target to go...
One more question - probably a stupid one - but are there western clothing retail outlets at the stampede?
Rather than haul our tired old duds across, (other than what we're wearing of course!!) we might buy some shiny new ones. (And some for presents to take home) Wrangler jeans are about a quarter of our price - at least they are in the US, not sure about Canada.

So long as the clothes don't have Made in China on them.

Calgary is not short of retailers willing to take you money. There are several that deal in western wear and several that would be familiar to you. It won't be cheaper than in the US. More like similar or slightly more. You'll have a good time though, I'd bet money on that.

Thanks for that, per. We're all organised and ready to go in two or three weeks. Providing the oldies stay well and the youngsters behave themselves, we'll be out of here!

Latest posts