Any Advice for cow guy getting his 1st donkeys?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lawson Farms

Reaction score
I have no experience with horses, donkeys, or anything but cows. I'm thinking of getting a few for coyote protection. We've probably only lost 2 calves last year to dogs/coyotes, but in the last year all of our barn cats have mysteriously disappeared. I'm assuming that the coyotes got them. I"m assuming now that the cats are gone, calves may be the next target.

A friend's father got him two donks, said he needed them for coyotes. The first day the male donk grabbed a new born calf by the neck and bit a chunk out of it. The Good Lord promptly called the donk home. They gave the female away.
Some say not to get males. It may just depend on the individual temperament.
Make sure any donkey, mule or horse will pasture with cattle before turning your back on them. All are feed aggressive and will chase bovines away and hog all the feed.

I would skip it. I've had several over the years. i have observed them watch dogs, and coyotes cross the place, and never bat an eye. They are also ususally the first thing in the catching pen, and do their best to keep everything else out.

Donkeys only go to work when their stock is agitated. If something walks thru and leaves the cattle alone they will do nothing.
Donkeys do not want anything new in their flock- that includes newborns. You or the cows have to train them that newborns are ok and to be left alone
Donkeys only protect what they bond to. If there are other Donkeys they will bond to them and leave the cattle to fend for themselves
If you have sheep and cattle they will only protect one or the other
Donkeys have to break the stock to group up when it says to- that can be pretty rough but usually not to damaging and once its done its over with
Intact Male donkeys go into a rut and will attempt to breed anything around them.
Donkeys become the lead animal in the group- so they will claim the feed.
Donkeys feet may need trimming, especially if they founder

I would agree that one donkey is probably better than 2. Mine hang out in a group, and are seldom with the cows.

Howdyjabo":1u2qhmm8 said:
Intact Male donkeys go into a rut and will attempt to breed anything around them.

Wise words here. But I'd like to add, that even once their nuts are tossed across the fence they still like to breed ANYTHING.

If you don't mind my asking, how much is the fella offering to pay you to take the donkeys off his hands?

I can attest to this, and the one that was pastured with 2-3 cows down the road from me wouldn't take 'no' for an answer either, and a nearly daily occurance.
Dang bus driver refused to drive the school bus down that road anymore--didn't want the kids to have to see it.

Jogeephus":3k7haxr2 said:
Howdyjabo":3k7haxr2 said:

Wise words here. But I'd like to add, that even once their nuts are tossed across the fence they still like to breed ANYTHING.

If you don't mind my asking, how much is the fella offering to pay you to take the donkeys off his hands?

YUP, there's a vid on youtube of a guy squatting down to take care of some business, when a male donkey figured he was fair game.. by god did that thing try hard to get the guy!

Get you a Brangus cow. Mine run the dogs right out of the pasture!

I do have a donkey also. Just one, gelded, and has never "mounted" anything. Not even the mares in heat. He has been pretty trouble free. But would I ever bring another one in and trust it with my calves? NO.

My advice would be to not get a donkey know lots of people who has had them with either sheep or cows and the out come was never good. Around here donkeys go for around $100 each but it seems if u have one u want to get ride of u have to pay someone to come get it.

Lawson Farms":3bxpdqxe said:
He has them advertised for 5 for $400 obo.
They are free here. When they come through the cattle sale they do not sell. Some times a person will agree to take one home for free if the seller pays the commission.

branguscowgirl":61p2sb9b said:
Get you a Brangus cow. Mine run the dogs right out of the pasture!

I do have a donkey also. Just one, gelded, and has never "mounted" anything. Not even the mares in heat. He has been pretty trouble free. But would I ever bring another one in and trust it with my calves? NO.
Nah don't need a brangus, all you need is a good mother cow that has some hatred for canids. I have this shorthorn cow that will murder anything that moves and want to kill my dogs. My late grandpa had a friendly donkey gelding is almost trouble free with cattle.......except feeding time, penning time and won't let calves near the creeper. He is scared of horned cows tho.

Lawson Farms":p4d16g0s said:
I have no experience with horses, donkeys, or anything but cows. I'm thinking of getting a few for coyote protection. We've probably only lost 2 calves last year to dogs/coyotes, but in the last year all of our barn cats have mysteriously disappeared. I'm assuming that the coyotes got them. I"m assuming now that the cats are gone, calves may be the next target.

Did you actually see the coyotes killing the calves? And what were the cows doing while the coyotes were killing their calves? Or did the calves die and the coyotes were just cleaning up the mess?

Tim/South":3fvbs4nu said:
Lawson Farms":3fvbs4nu said:
He has them advertised for 5 for $400 obo.
They are free here. When they come through the cattle sale they do not sell. Some times a person will agree to take one home for free if the seller pays the commission.
Here the sale barn charges you $25 to unload them. If by some freak of nature someone gives more than that the sale barn pays the seller.

djinwa":2x2wa2b1 said:
Lawson Farms":2x2wa2b1 said:

Did you actually see the coyotes killing the calves? And what were the cows doing while the coyotes were killing their calves? Or did the calves die and the coyotes were just cleaning up the mess?
OP is saying that it was either dogs or coyotes that is killing the calves. I have no doubts that coyotes will kill an unattended newborn calf. Many times a cow will hide their calves for first few days after the birth.