Ants

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I've got ants hills about 6-8" tall, about the size of a basket ball.
You kick it and millions of little black ants come boiling out.
A little bigger than a pizz ant.
The other day I was in flip flops and got into them by accident and got bit on the toes.
They sting a little but not too bad and wears off fairly quick but leaves a red spot like a chigger bite and itch about as bad.

My neighbor says pizz ants but it's not like we have at home

slick4591":33ibir8i said:
Pizz ants around here look almost like specs of pepper and have no sting.

That's what we call them too.

These are bigger but not as big as as red ant.

Sounds like fire ants to me. Most of my ground is fairly flat and with as much rain this summer the ant mounds have gotten pretty tall. They have to get the queen above the standing water level.

Around SE Texas we've recently been invaded by what they're calling crazy ants. They look about like what you're describing. They seem to like electronics, like gate openers. They are small and black like sugar ants but move around like crazy.

This is what I'm talking about

[youtube]https://youtu.be/9E_-oJicCGM[/youtube]

They look dark like fire ants. They move pretty quick but fire ants do sometimes. Also have crazy ants here in central TX but they look red. If these itch like crazy I would say fire.

BK9954":33j6p8s7 said:
They look dark like fire ants. They move pretty quick but fire ants do sometimes. Also have crazy ants here in central TX but they look red. If these itch like crazy I would say fire.

Mostly a black ant between the size of a pizz ant and a red ant.
The sting isn't too bad but the welt itches like chiggers.
They build mound about 6-8" tall and about 10-12" in diameter

Cross-7":2y58qw7p said:
BK9954":2y58qw7p said:

Mostly a black ant between the size of a pizz ant and a red ant.
The sting isn't too bad but the welt itches like chiggers.
They build mound about 6-8" tall and about 10-12" in diameter

Our mounds started back after the rain. I introduced those things to Amdro. So far, so good.

fire ants usually leave a little pustule that forms about a day later. They look almost all black but have a little bit of red on their back/tail/thorax-thing.