Fire Ants?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
We recently drove through Alabama on our way to Florida. There were cone shaped piles of dirt all over in some areas. Were they fire ants? I asked a lady at a gas station but she talked about cow ants. What about fire ants? Are they native? Do they cause problems with the hills etc. Thanks I'm just curious. Farmguy

farmguy":3hypxu1c said:
We recently drove through Alabama on our way to Florida. There were cone shaped piles of dirt all over in some areas. Were they fire ants? I asked a lady at a gas station but she talked about cow ants. What about fire ants? Are they native? Do they cause problems with the hills etc. Thanks I'm just curious. Farmguy

Probably were fire ants. Do they cause problems?? They can't crawl across your foot without stinking the he!! out of you and it hurts unlike any other ant sting you might have ever felt....They short out electrical contacters, etc. and are just really nasty. They multiply by the millions, start new colonies as fast as you might be able to kill one colony out and seem to be taking over everywhere. Probably can't take the cold up north but the South is alive with them. Wonder if we could ship a few loads of the middle east??

farmguy":2d8p963o said:
they are now. they been here long enough too be granted citizenship...............came here on a cargo ship in the gulf..the cow ant is completely different.. its a big hairy red and black wingless wasp ;-) . make you miss the good ol days when the common ol pi$$ ant ruled the land.. yep they cause alot of problem with fence rows, hay mowers, bush hogs. etc never lost a calf too em , they will get in stored hay bales too.

TexasBred":2ku2rz15 said:
farmguy":2ku2rz15 said:

Probably were fire ants. Do they cause problems?? They can't crawl across your foot without stinking the he!! out of you and it hurts unlike any other ant sting you might have ever felt....They short out electrical contacters, etc. and are just really nasty. They multiply by the millions, start new colonies as fast as you might be able to kill one colony out and seem to be taking over everywhere. Probably can't take the cold up north but the South is alive with them. Wonder if we could ship a few loads of the middle east??

And if only one bites you, you got lucky. They swarm on you without you knowing it till the signal to attack is given. Then you start dancing and slapping and sometimes the shedding of clothes happens.

They dont bite me anymore. I mean i imagine if i shoved my hand in a pile id get bit but as for having five or so get on my hand or foot they never bite anymore. I dont know why. If yo live up north your lucky. Fire Ants are ants from hell. haha